General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Default RE: Oil Suggestions?

What would using synthetic help?

Also, do you guys suggest anything like Lucas complete fuel treatment in a bottle, or Lucal Oil treatment?

Old 09-30-2006, 12:28 PM

Advantages

The industry recognizes the following benefits for synthetic motor oils:

* Improved viscosity at low temperatures. Mineral oils tend to include wax impurities which coagulate at lower temperatures. A typical 10W-30 oil remains liquid at -50 °C (-58 °F)
* Better high temperature performance. Synthetic oils have few low molecular weight hydrocarbons which evaporate at high temperatures.
* Higher purity
* Decreased oil consumption
* Reduced friction and engine wear
* Improved fuel consumption through better engine lubrication
* Resistance to oil sludge problems
* Crude oil doesn't have to be used for the production of the lubricants
* Some synthetic motor oil producers offer extended intervals between oil changes (extended drain intervals)
* Reduction of environmental impact (due to lower oil consumption)

Also, do you guys suggest anything like Lucas complete fuel treatment in a bottle, or Lucal Oil treatment?
Not needed with good oil, filter, and regular change intervals. Fuel treatment is the users choice. For an over the counter product Techron is hard to beat.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:48 PM

agreed with texas, techron is good, also STP makes a damn good fuel system cleaner, nothing however is a better substitute for just simply changing the fuel filter. also I dont know about any other brand of Oil but Castrol Syntec has a disclaimer on the bottles that it is totally compatible with all synthetic and conventional oils.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 PM

btw just for anyone who is curious I live in south carolina, another hot **BUTT** state in the summer lol

Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

ORIGINAL: 92Inspire

formula shell 10w-30. castrol actually isnt a good oil. i live in florida as well and with this heat i suggest 10w-30. i use formula shell and every time i change my oil it looks 1000 miles old.
Castrol isn't a good oil?? And you base this conclusion on what?? I think some research is in order on your part. Your statement is absolutely false.
i used castrol for the first 3 years of me working on cars. i also worked for BG a company that made enhancement products for oil, as well as gas treatment, transmission treat/flush, ect ect... castrol doesnt even make oil, they put there name on it and put it on the market. ive seen cars come and go like most of us on here. From the many oils that ive used in shops and in my vehicles castrol is one of the worst oils to use. but opions are like POOPholes, everyone has one. Your statement was out of line.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:45 AM

I'm asking you to back up a statement that Castrol isn't a good oil and I'M out of line??????? I know that they are an oil blender that's common fact. Had you said "In my opinion" I would have never responded but you stated it as fact. You still have provided no proof only conjecture. I used Castrol exclusively for over 40 years of driving and countless cars. Not once was there ever an oil related engine problem. I also used engine oil analysis and they always came back stellar. I now use Mobil 1 and have since 2003. So we agree to disagree about Castrol........

Your "poophole" inference is not appreciated and was uncalled for.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:41 PM

I read in my Chiltons manual that Synthetic wouldn't be good for a new, or high mileage car for a few reasons..

For mine (higher mileage, 168,000) it says it can break down sludge that's built up and possibly clog my filter causing engine problems. Also it says it can leak easier, but I currently don't have any leaks anyway so maybe that one won't apply.

What do you guys say about what the book says? I'd rather use Mobil 1 Synthetic just to use what's best..

Old 10-01-2006, 02:29 PM

well if you are worried about the sludge/clog factor then run a bottle of motor flush through the motor before you change to synthetic. Its very common knowledge that Castrol isnt a singular oil company, in fact if you pay attention to the back label on the bottles you can plainly see that BP makes Castrol. Just like texaco makes not only Havoline but Shell as well, etc, etc... Hell WAL-MART brand oil is actually made by the same people that make Quaker State. Im in agreeance with Texas..you havent shown and reputable technical evidence that Castrol isnt a good oil, just your own POOPhole as you so fondly put it.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: WhyNotFab

I read in my Chiltons manual that Synthetic wouldn't be good for a new, or high mileage car for a few reasons..

For mine (higher mileage, 168,000) it says it can break down sludge that's built up and possibly clog my filter causing engine problems. Also it says it can leak easier, but I currently don't have any leaks anyway so maybe that one won't apply.

What do you guys say about what the book says? I'd rather use Mobil 1 Synthetic just to use what's best..
This is my opinion but it is based on several years of research... Although I use synthetic in everything, even the lawnmower, I don't think it is worth the expense of going to synth @ 168K. Why? I just don't think the benefits justify the cost unless you are planning extended oil change intervals. If you plan or changing oil & filter @ 5K or sooner there will be little benefit with synthetic. Were it my car I would use this to clean the interior of the engine gently: http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html.
Some believe that the 3000 mile oil change is the way to go, nothing wrong with that. I go 7-8K using Mobil 1 and it works for me and the car judging by the oil analysis'. Actually it could go a bit farther according to those that analyze the oil. 7-8K is my comfort zone.

Other opinions will differ and that's fine with me.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 PM

I'm reading about that Auto-RX stuff right now, have you used it before? Seems to be something I'd want to order soon and try.

If I don't go with Synthetic oil, what other brands would you guys suggest?

Quick Reply: Oil Suggestions?