General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Default RE: Oil Suggestions?

I have not used it before. The last three cars I've owned had low mileage when I got rid of them or traded. The current one only has 20K. There are many positive testimonails there and some before/after pictures that show what it can do. I will use it when my car approaches 70K or so. On Bobistheoilguy there are at least a hundred positive testimonials also. That's where I learned of the product.

If you want to use a full synthetic after the Auto RX then go for it. If you feel it's worth it then that's all that matters. Any name brand dino oil will work very well. A few sleepers are Havoline, Motorcraft (a synth blend), Chevron, & Exxon 7500 (another blend). Those, and many others, have shown to hold up very well and have excellent additive packages. As said several times, any name brand will be just fine. It would be almost impossible to go wrong. Wal-Marts brand of oil & filters are a very good value and hold up well, believe it or not. Honda filters made by Filtech are hard to beat but there are many others.

We all have our favorite brands if it's oil or breakfast cereal. Buy a brand you are comfortable with.

Here's an individual that set out to prove that Auto RX was crap. After two treatments the engine was clean, ran better, idled better, and the compression on ALL cylinders was way up. Take the time to read it all to get the big picture. http://www.auto-rx.com/rms13/index-1.htm
The before and after pictures are amazing as are the before & after engine specs.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:53 PM

I could afford 2 bottles one day for the 2 step application, but would it be necessary to keep adding the 2-3 oz. for each oil change thereafter? 1 bottle would last 5 oil changes if I used 2 oz. per oil change after the initial 2 step cleaning/rinsing process..

I gotta wait a little while before ordering it though now, $25 a bottle and at first I didnt see I need 2.. lol

Thanks for the tips, definitely going to try it when I have some extra $$

Old 10-01-2006, 05:06 PM

Frankly most folks do not do the "maintenance dose". They treat with Auto RX once or twice, depending on mileage, and just get on with it.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM

or you could just go and vuy a bottle of GUNK motor flush its 6 bucks at Wal-Mart and all ya do is dump it in the crankcase run the car for 10 mins at idle cut it off and drain.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

I'm asking you to back up a statement that Castrol isn't a good oil and I'M out of line??????? I know that they are an oil blender that's common fact. Had you said "In my opinion" I would have never responded but you stated it as fact. You still have provided no proof only conjecture. I used Castrol exclusively for over 40 years of driving and countless cars. Not once was there ever an oil related engine problem. I also used engine oil analysis and they always came back stellar. I now use Mobil 1 and have since 2003. So we agree to disagree about Castrol........

Your "poophole" inference is not appreciated and was uncalled for.
i never said it was a fact. i will agree i never said it was my opinion either, which i should have done. i am in no way trying to start an argument or battle it out with you about oil. so let me restate my opinion. i do not favor castrol for the reason of it does not last longer than some of the other oils ive used and it breaks down faster than most. in my opinion formula shell and mobil 1 are the best oils to use, and as i said in another post which most people dont believe. Super tech from walmart is actually a good oil and its cheap. so to conclude this, i appoligize to you RtexasF. i hope to still recieve suggestions from you if i have any posts or visa versa.

sincerly,Joe

Old 10-02-2006, 08:03 PM

ok now that the debate is over, have another question for the infinitely opinionated of the forum...where can I order Honda ATF or is there a parts store that sells it..? anything other than going to a dealership.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 PM

Extended milage, great protection and reasonable price. . .

Phillips 66 trop-Artic 5W-30 synthetic blend. $1.68 at Wally-World.

Believe it or not.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 92Inspire

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

I'm asking you to back up a statement that Castrol isn't a good oil and I'M out of line??????? I know that they are an oil blender that's common fact. Had you said "In my opinion" I would have never responded but you stated it as fact. You still have provided no proof only conjecture. I used Castrol exclusively for over 40 years of driving and countless cars. Not once was there ever an oil related engine problem. I also used engine oil analysis and they always came back stellar. I now use Mobil 1 and have since 2003. So we agree to disagree about Castrol........

Your "poophole" inference is not appreciated and was uncalled for.
i never said it was a fact. i will agree i never said it was my opinion either, which i should have done. i am in no way trying to start an argument or battle it out with you about oil. so let me restate my opinion. i do not favor castrol for the reason of it does not last longer than some of the other oils ive used and it breaks down faster than most. in my opinion formula shell and mobil 1 are the best oils to use, and as i said in another post which most people dont believe. Super tech from walmart is actually a good oil and its cheap. so to conclude this, i appoligize to you RtexasF. i hope to still recieve suggestions from you if i have any posts or visa versa.

sincerly,Joe
Thanks, all is well with us. Supertech (Wal-Mart) oil and their filters are both good, I believe you. I'm a member of Bobistheoilguy too......#415

Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 PM

ok now that the debate is over, have another question for the infinitely opinionated of the forum...where can I order Honda ATF or is there a parts store that sells it..? anything other than going to a dealership.
You'll need to pay the dealer's price. You may find it for a little less online but the shipping would quickly kill any savings.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Alekat

Extended milage, great protection and reasonable price. . .

Phillips 66 trop-Artic 5W-30 synthetic blend. $1.68 at Wally-World.

Believe it or not.
That's a great buy!

Quick Reply: Oil Suggestions?