General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating busting radiator hoses

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 AM

I didn't bother reading all the previous posts, but is your fan turning on? The fan on the driver side is for the air conditioner and the passenger fan is to cool the engine.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 AM

When I was working on my car once I forgot to plug the fan back in and left it running. It heated up and water started spilling out the reservoir.

I doubt it would be the head gasket, my friends just blew and smoke was shooting out the tail pipe and he had loss of power.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by doctorbee
time to do some wrench turning. drop off the head at a machine shop to check for warpage. replace timing belt and front seals while you're at it.
9.5 out of 10 people (the average person) couldn't do this themselves.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 AM

ok let me understand this...you replaced the bottom hose which was the one that blew rite?and did you noticed when the bottom hose blew was the top hose expanded any?
You also said you replaced the water pump rite?you must make sure that everything is on time?if you replaced the water pump it would have been a good idea to replace the timing belt with a new one as well!
The ignition timing must be on time!!!check it!
the thermostat could also be stuck in the closed poss.?
make sure your coolant is full?
Is there any coolant lose? And do you see any coolant leaking from any place?

Do this..disconnect both top and bottom hoses,get a water hose and place it in the radiator where the cap goes then place one hand over the top hole and see if water is passing thru?if not there's the problem?if water does go thru then we must do "process of elimination"
let me know how it goes plz!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by memo0311
Yeah the oil looks fine. Just replaced the bottom hose and bled the system. I noticed that the bottom hose was cold and top hose is hot. Could that be what's causing the problem?
different temps on the hoses points to thermostat stuck closed and/or failed water pump.

are you getting constant bubbling again?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Different temps can also be a plugged radiator.

With water-flow obstructed, the water has plenty of time to reach a low temperature. But there isn't enough flow rate to cool the engine.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by doctorbee
time to do some wrench turning. drop off the head at a machine shop to check for warpage. replace timing belt and front seals while you're at it.
What are the chances that the block has warped? I would think that the flatness of the block should be checked also just to be thorough.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:08 AM

thank you Jim!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 AM

man partner you have to do "PROCESS OF ELIMINATION"!!!
Dont think the worst rite away cause if you start doing the biggest and most expensive repairs 1st.(and iv seen done many times!) when all along it was just a minor repair!
so start off small and work your way up!!!
I can bet that Jim and i are rite!check that radiator!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not gonna bet that we are right. But I WILL bet that it's a good idea for YOU to CHECK the stuff that we suggest.

Quick Reply: Overheating busting radiator hoses