General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please Help- Crank no Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Thumbs down Please Help- Crank no Start

My car overheated on the freeway and now I can't get it to start. I have checked for SPARK (light spark), TIMING (appears good), COMPRESSION (tough without starting).
I believe that I have FUEL (smell)...
I seem to have a spark, but it seems a little low. I have replaced all new plugs.

It sems like somehting simple like a fuse, but haven't found a bad one.

How can I check for the correct amount of spark?

Any other ideas? Thank you kind people.

Brian
2006 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 Auto with Navi

Old 09-21-2021, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean by the car won't start? When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter crank the engine, but the engine won't run on its own (like when you normally release the key)? Or does the starter not crank the engine?

Old 09-22-2021, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What do you mean by the car won't start? When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter crank the engine, but the engine won't run on its own (like when you normally release the key)? Or does the starter not crank the engine?
The engine won't run on its own. The belts will move, while I'm cranking, but eventually the battery goes dead.

Thanks for looking. Any ideas are awesome.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Well, you CAN check compression without starting. You remove the spark plugs & use the starter to spin the engine while the compression gauge is in one of the sparkplug holes. That's probably why PA asked if the starter cranked the engine.

With the plugs still installed, does your starter sound like its spinning free rather than straining a bit at each compression stroke? That's a crude way to hear whether you have lost all your compression.

Spray starting fluid (or throttlebody cleaner) into the throttle body while cranking the engine. Does it fire for a second or 2? If so, then your spark is good enough to do something.