General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Pop Rocks crackling sound from the dash???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Question Pop Rocks crackling sound from the dash???

Ok, this is a new one on me. 2008 EX-L V6, 75,000 miles and it has just started making what I can only describe as what sounds kind of like the sound pop rocks makes in your mouth coming from under my dashboard on the drivers side. It is not loud and it happens with or without the AC on. I have never heard this before and when I hit the off button on the climate control, the sound is still there. It will however completely stop when the engine is shut off.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Everything seems to be functioning normally otherwise.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:04 PM

I have seen other cars with this problem around on the internet but haven't heard of any explanations yet. Amybody have any ideas?

Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Is the popping sound still present if the steering wheel is not being turned?

If the popping sound is principally when the steering wheel is turned, that may be due to the steering column lower bearing mis-set. Generally, the symptoms of the steering column being mis-set would be a popping or clicking comes from the lower area of the steering column when you turn the steering wheel.

Honda had a service bulletin regarding the steering column lower bearing mis-set. The diagnosis was:

1. With the transmission in P and the parking brake set, start the engine, and let it idle.
2. Tilt the steering column all the way down, and pull it all the way out.
3. Using a stethoscope or a Chassis Ear, listen to the lower area of the steering column while turning the steering wheel.

If there is a pop or click from the lower area of the steering column, then it probably needs the steering column replace.

If there is no pop or click from the lower area of the steering column, then the source of the noise you're hearing is due to something else.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:10 PM

You know your cars redbull. Unfortunately that isn't the problem although, I had the problem you explained in the past and had to have that lower bearing in the steering column replaced. This sound happens without turning the steering wheel with or without the AC on. It seems to happen more when it is hotter out. The AC works fine and blows really cold even when it is hot. I thought it was the AC but then when I turn it off the sound is still there. It almost sounds like a computer Hard drive when it is being read. The clicking and pop rocks sound that a hard drive makes. when I turn the car off, the sound completely stops. What else do you think it might be??

Also, the sound is in the upper part of the dashboard on the drivers side. I listened under the hood and could not hear it at all.

Last edited by Mikebike125; 09-05-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Starting to sound like the air mix motor is "hunting" and the source of the noise.

Does your HVAC have dual controls - drivers and pass side temp settings?

Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 AM

Yes, it does have dual controls. I do primarily keep it set on "Auto" and the same temp for both sides. If that matters.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

You might try putting your hand, ear - on or near the drivers air mix motor and see if that is the source of the noise.

Attached Thumbnails Pop Rocks crackling sound from the dash???-8th-gen-hvac-box-dual-control.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

It usually is due to an issue with the gears inside the air mix control motor.

Unplug the green connector to the driver's air control motor. If there is no more noise, then it probably is the motor.

Attached Thumbnails Pop Rocks crackling sound from the dash???-drivers-air-mix-control-motor.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 PM

I will get under the dash tomorrow and take a look for the green connector. I will tell you how it goes.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 PM

Ok, so it does seem to be this air mix motor because I am also getting ice cold air on the passenger side and then the temp on the drivers side wanders and goes up and down. It is indeed "hunting.

SO, what is involved in changing this motor? How difficult is it?

Also, I am trying to look up the part and can't figure out what system it is in in the parts finders. I am looking on the Majestic Honda Website and cannot find the part. Anyone know what it is under?

Think I found it. Is it 79160-TA5-A21 013 001 MOTOR ASSY., AIR MIX (DRIVER SIDE)??

Only $30, not too bad. Just need to know how to put it in.

Last edited by Mikebike125; 09-25-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Pop Rocks crackling sound from the dash???