General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Fluid Loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 10:41 AM
Default Power Steering Fluid Loss

Hello all, just joined and wanted to get some advise on a problem. I have a 2008 EX-L, automatic. A couple months ago I heard a loud whining sound coming from the engine bay and suspected the worse, transmission issues. Upon closer inspection it was noted the power steering reservoir was low. I topped it off. About another month later the steering was difficulty to turn while stationary and I looked at the power steering fluid again, it was low and I topped it off. I suspected a leak and did a general inspection of both the top and bottom and didn't appear to see any leaks from a faulty hose. I have since needed to top off the fluid again, so I'm losing it somewhere.

My apologies I have not done research on this forum for potential causes as I've been busy fixing my second car and posting on the miata forums LOL.

My first step would be to put the car in the air and thoroughly examine every aspect accessible for any potential leaks. Thinking about it now I also need to check the boots around the steering rack for potential leaks.

My question is: What are the members thoughts about the potential causes of this leak and where do I need to look? Also, is it possible somehow that the pump is just drinking the fluid and I wouldn't see any leaks?

Old 06-14-2023, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

The fluid has to be leaking externally it could be slow and not immediately obvious. You will need to find the leak. Use a towel to clean off everything on the PS system seeing if you pick up and dirt/grime. Some "common" areas are the orings where the PS lines connect to the pump, the PS rack. The lines could leak, but not as common.

One tip for finding leaks, clean off everything. Use something like athletes foot spray to get a coating of powder. Run the engine, then look for staining at the highest point. Hopefully you can find the leak.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The fluid has to be leaking externally it could be slow and not immediately obvious. You will need to find the leak. Use a towel to clean off everything on the PS system seeing if you pick up and dirt/grime. Some "common" areas are the orings where the PS lines connect to the pump, the PS rack. The lines could leak, but not as common.

One tip for finding leaks, clean off everything. Use something like athletes foot spray to get a coating of powder. Run the engine, then look for staining at the highest point. Hopefully you can find the leak.
Thank you. I will certainly use the spray option and thoroughly check all the lines. When I checked before I didn't have the car running, so I'll add that to the list of things. I also read that having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth could also help locate the leak.