General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power steering issues - 94 LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Default Power steering issues - 94 LX

I have a broken weld on the exhaust hanger for the cat, and while removing it I unbolted the mount for the steering rack.
Like an idiot I neglected to bolt the mount back in place, so I happily fired her up and turned the wheel as I prepared to back out.
Obviously with no bolts to hold it in place there were some scary popping noises as the rack slid through the collar on the passenger side of the car, then the steering stopped working entirely.
I then spent half an hour pulling the rack back to its original position, but I was unable to put the second bolt in.
Steering is functional now, but there is a hissing noise that I did not hear before when I turn the wheel, and it feels softer than usual (both of those may be psychosomatic).
That all being said, I'm wondering
A: if anyone has some guidance as to how to seat that second bolt (the threading is about .5mm out of center vs the bolt hole)
B: whether I am imagining the difference in its function
C: if I may have caused any damage by doing this
D: how I can fix it if there is a possibility of damage
Luckily, tomorrow is my day off, but I'm not very excited about the possibility of a car with no steering capability on Sunday

Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A: if anyone has some guidance as to how to seat that second bolt (the threading is about .5mm out of center vs the bolt hole)
Response: Suggest loosening other bolt just slightly and turning the wheels a small amount to use power of rack to move the rack slightly and align 2nd bolt hole. You will need to elevate car on ramps (need ground resistance on wheels to push against rack), and will need a helper to turn the wheel just slightly as you watch/guide.

B: whether I am imagining the difference in its function
response:you may have damaged a hose and be leaking air into system. Observe reservoir for bubbles.

C: if I may have caused any damage by doing this
response: Yes, hoses are most likely. Crimps may have been really stretched and bent. Almost certainly, alignment (toe) needs to be adjusted after other problems are resolved. Not urgent.

D: how I can fix it if there is a possibility of damage
Response: Get 2nd bolt in place and watch carefully for leaks. Repair as indicated.

good luck