General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Proper installing Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Default Proper installing Thermostat

I have a 96 2.2 and trying to replace the thermostat. I have the gasket in place and the gasket indentions are lined up with the ‘U’ shape cup on the top. When I incert the thermostat with the small-loose vent hole is on the top, the thermostat is a loose fit. It has no indention to hold it in place. I have the correct thermostat and was wanting to know how to hold it in place while bolting it back. Do you use any sealant?

Also, on the front hose, I removed the bracket and there was no gasket or sealant on the front porting. I first thought the thermostat was located there. This car had ran hot and I was afraid they removed a gasket and didn’t know if it needed one back. It’s metal-to-metal.

Please help…working on it this weekend. Thank you much.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

here ya go...

Attached Thumbnails Proper installing Thermostat-tstat.jpg  
Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Default Thanks

Thank you. Would you happen to know if the front hose metal-to-metal needs any type sealent or gasket?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

not to my knowledge.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM

the thermostat shuld be cupped inside the gasket then install it

Old 06-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

The upper hose housing, the one without the thermostat has an o-ring seal.....19313-PT0-000

Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Wrap the gasket around the outer rim of the thermostat; it covers over both sides of that edge. Then the T-stat should stick into the fixed housing and allow you to bolt up the outer housing.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Default O-Ring - now fan question

Thanks Jim. I may have found the overheating issue, even though I can not make it overheat. Shouldn't both fans come on at the same time (twin fans), or are they sequenced by temp readings? Only the left one comes on when the ac is on.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Far as I know, the fan control scheme works like this...

When the AC is running (compressor clutch engaged) BOTH fans are supposed to run togeter. They (both together) switch on and off along with the AC compressor.

When the engine is running, both fans are switched together by the coolant temperature. There's no staggering with temperature; they both come on together & shut off together. Normally they'll only come on when idling; when you're driving there's plenty of air coming through the radiator just from the motion of the car.

After you turn off the engine, only one fan might come on (depending on coolant temperature). (I think it's the right-side fan.) There's a timer to prevent it from running forever.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

....Jim, yes.

OP- think of it this way. If the key is on, BOTH fans run- ac on or when temp is reached - Thermo A. The only time one fan runs is if the key is "off". Of course this is for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and gen Accords (86 - 97). Pretty sure (?) the 6th gen (98-02) didn't use the "key off" function....too tired to look, sorry.

Quick Reply: Proper installing Thermostat