General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question regarding safety of remote start in a garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Default Question regarding safety of remote start in a garage

Is it safe to use the remote start in a garage with the door open?
Concern is buildup of carbon monoxide.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

So your question is, is it safe to have your car running while in the garage while the door is open. I don't understand the remote start part of the question unless you're saying your garage is so cold you need to remote start it in the morning and to that I would say what's the point of parking the car in the garage if you need to remote start it.

It's never safe to keep a car running in an enclosed area. Depending on how your garage is set up and the way you park your vehicle in the garage will answer that for you. For example if you park your car with the tail pipe pointing out you have a less chance of carbon monoxide entering the home versus parking the car where the tail pipe sits at the entrance of the home. Only you know how well ventilated your garage is.

If it's something you want to do I would say get a carbon monoxide alarm and place it at the entrance of the home to be safe.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 02-09-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Ikabob
Is it safe to run the car in a garage with the door open?
Concern is buildup of carbon monoxide.
I've done it many times a month for last 18 yrs.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
So your question is, is it safe to have your car running while in the garage while the door is open. I don't understand the remote start part of the question unless you're saying your garage is so cold you need to remote start it in the morning and to that I would say what's the point of parking the car in the garage if you need to remote start it.

It's never safe to keep a car running in an enclosed area. Depending on how your garage is set up and the way you park your vehicle in the garage will answer that for you. For example if you park your car with the tail pipe pointing out you have a less chance of carbon monoxide entering the home versus parking the car where the tail pipe sits at the entrance of the home. Only you know how well ventilated your garage is.

If it's something you want to do I would say get a carbon monoxide alarm and place it at the entrance of the home to be safe.
Thank you both for the replies. To answer a question, I park in the garage to keep my car safe from potential vandalism and free from the weather.
I think I’ll err on the side of caution and not remote start when the car’s in the garage. The garage is under the master bedroom. Wish I didn’t have to do it that way.

Last edited by Ikabob; 02-09-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Another suggestion is to get some carbon-monoxide detectors for your house. Then you would be warned that CO is entering your home. You could put it in the garage to see if dangerous levels are accumulating when running the engine with the garage door open.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:32 PM

Thank you for the suggestion.