General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Quiz:

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Question Quiz:

Brake pedal goes to floor after a turn (either direction). Engine was recently removed overhauled (cylinders bored, new pistons, head all new valves, all seals & bearings replaced) overall nice job. At 170k+ miles it needed new throttle position. sensor, new map sensor, and new knock sensor. So what caused the brakes to fail after errant replacement of master and all slave cylinders?

Old 06-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

What vehicle are you driving? The accord brake system has a master cylinder and no slave cylinders, so what parts did you replace?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Technically, each caliper (or cylinder for drums) is a slave - its just unusual to use that term.

Still, what specific kind of car are we talking about? I've had a master cylinder fail causing the pedal to sink to the floor, but it didn't do anything different for turning.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:36 PM
kps
Newest Of Newbies

right now its a guessing game, i had 1 vehicle brake failure temporarily, few foot to floor no brakes, freaked out stops, & then system would work, replaced everything, & still did it, & never leaked a drop, I replaced proportioning valve & didnt have issue again, but I was done scared of vehicle more than 4 brake failures on same vehicle & see how much you pucker to drive, & I sold it & let new owner know of brake failures.

for turning if during engine swap, maybe did something to hose routing or caliper not seated correctly & when turned have issue?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:34 PM
Default Answer

In re-installing the engine the front supension forks wer placed on the wrong sides such that during turns the bowed leg of the forks pushed on the back of the caliper slave cylinders forcing the gap between the brake shoes and the disks to widen excessively. Fix was to pull the forks off and swap them around.

And yes-- all master cylinders have at least one slave. Brake systems have four slaves and clutches have one.

This was my mistake -- sharing it so others can avoid it and recognise the symptom's root cause. I got to it by raising the vehicle (A Honda Accord EX 2001) and watching while another person moved the steering wheel from one extreme to the other. I was watching for bad hose routing -- but seeing the forks move the calipers proved intuitive. A quick fix that did not have to involve another bleeding.

So, KPS, did you have the forks off for any reason?? Ever. So long as you don't turn too sharp those breaks would work fine. But back into a parking space and you'd best have your hand on that hand brake. This one drove me nutz!!! I swapped out about everything but don't regret is too much as it all had 170k mi. and 15 years of age.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sharing so others can benefit from your experience isn't a "mistake". It's an interesting story about the shock forks...