General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Default Radiator Fan

Hello Everyone,

New here, and wow this site is simply great!!

I have a 94 Honda Accord LX 4DR Sedan.

Hoping someone can help me, I just noticed that both my radiator fans do not work when I start my car.
Are both or one fan suppose to run at start up? Or do they kick on after car reaches a certain temp?

I know during the hot summer days, I remember hearing fan running after I turn car off.
I tested both fans and they both work when I hot wire them directly to battery.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Default RE: Radiator Fan

i have the same questions as well last time and i ask my friend who is a tech guy
and what they said is that it is temp control...
but my question is that this is summer and why is the fan not running when i switch the car off but the fan keeps running when it is in winter. an he can't say anything as well....

any one here can answer that questions for me?
thanx

Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Both fans run on cold startup, only if the AC is on. The fans will not come on until coolant temp reaches ~194F. A thermal activated switch closes at that temp and both fans will run. Typically, the fans will not come on unless you are stopped. Any forward motion produces enough air flow to prevent fans from running, unless AC is on.

Radiator (pax side fan) fan will run w/ car stopped and keyswitch OFF, if the coolant temp reaches 223F. This is to prevent excess cylinder head temps which can damage head gasket.

good luck

Old 02-02-2008, 01:04 PM

Texashonda,

Thanks for the perfect clear detailed anwser to my question!

I have a more serious problem hope you can help advise if you can,
it deals with the oil engine lamp. I'll make a new post in order to keep it on topic.

Again thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd give you guys an update with radiator fan.
Like I said in first post, I hot wired each fan directly to battery and both worked.

However somewhere in this forum I read that by using a paper clip to jump the coolant temp switch (sensor?) in rear
located at thermostat housing with the car running that the fan should turn on, in which they both fans did. As did the front
sensor located at the end of the upper hose when engine is off, worked as well. This was a much easier method of testing
fans, then hot wiring to battery.

When jumped fans did indeed operate exactly like Texashonda said they would.

The weird thing is that the jump test did not work until I switched the cooling fan relay fuse with the one for
power windows which are identical fuses. I read this somewhere in this forum...and by golly then both jump tests worked.

So next I did the lower hose test to see if it got hot after warming car up, and it failed. It stayed cool never heated up.
So I put in a Honda thermostat and bingo, lower hose got hot. Warm up car, and both turned on. However only for about
30 seconds? Is this normal, or does this mean I have to replace rear coolant temp switch?

Again I just want to thank everyone who has helped me, simply can't thank you enough. Also for those "All others who have contributed to this excellent forum". Just so much information ... thanks so much!!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fans staying on for 30-secs is correct. They stay on until coolant temp drops below thermoswitch A open temp (not specified by Honda but probably 5-10 degrees cooler than close temp). Fan off time before engaging again will depend upon fan & radiator efficiency,outside air temp, and thermostat hold temp.

good luck

Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM

TexasHonda great advice this case is solved!! First thing that has gone my way in over a week!

Thanks again!!