General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rare starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hmm, .76A is 760 ma so this is probably a bad parasitic drain. I'm looking at my 2006 Accord service manual and:
fuse 15/40A feeds:

fuse 7/7.5A Relay control Module under the hood

fuse 5/10A : radio

fuse 6/7.5A : driver's door courtesy light, front passenger's door courtesy light, trunk light. ceiling light , driver;s vanity mirror light. front passenger's vanity mirror light, and indiv. map lights..

fuse 7/10A : power door master switch
immobilizer control unit-receiver
gauge control module

Fuses 5,6 & 7 are under the dash and I believe behind kick panels to the left and below of the passenger position.

I think that if I were you, I would first try pulling fuse 6 and if the drain goes away, then isolate by pulling those courtesy lamps one by one, etc.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM

I had a very strange starting problem once that was these exact symptoms. (after 3 new batteries) What had happened is as the starter brushes wore and were drawing more amps than they should have been and would only do this when the car was good and warm. Chased this one for a couple of years before I nailed it.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

That's interesting...
Measuring the high amperage of the starter isn't happening with a normal-mortal's hand held multi-meter.

A drain will pull the battery's voltage down more & more over time. A bad starter will have the problem even after parked for a short time. Especially if it happens worse when the engine is warm.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Default Rare Starting Problem

After pulling the under dash #7 10A fuse, the amps dropped to .05mA. That's the normal range I'm looking for.
My Hanes book says this fuse is connected to an MICU thingy, and mostly the headlight control unit.
Since the car owner is currently in hospital, and usually doesn't drive at night, I have some time to disconnect the headlight switch and isolate the problem. These new fangled cars have a system in which you can leave the lights on and the car shuts them off after a delay. I never trusted this technology anyway.

Just to clarify the problem for the last few responses. The car had a starting problem in August, twice. No problem throughout the winter months with temps down to -13. then with 40+ degrees, it happened twice in one week. To erratic to be a battery or starter problem.

Last edited by Puer2820; 04-11-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Default Uncommon Parasitic battery drain

After 5 idle days in garage, 2006 Honda 4 dr. accord with 2.4, 4 cyl. had a dead battery. 4 year old premium( autozone gold) type tested under a load.
investigated and found Fuse #15 under hood box controlled the bad circuit.
Pulled # 7 in same and 5,6,7,8,9 under dash/box. still had 1 amp. draw.All interior lights go off, radio and clock are working and go off, instrument lights are functional, power door locks and windows are ok. So far unable to arrive at a draw source. Any suggestions would be welcome. Tom

Old 12-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

krehtv, so you pull fuse 15 and the 1 amp draw goes away; so you leave your amp meter in place of fuse 15 and then you pull fuse 7 under the hood and fuses 5,6,7,8,& 9 under-dash and the draw is still there with all these fuses out?? Doesn't seem possible you would still have the draw. Did you buy this Accord new? Is it possible a previous owner hooked up an alarm system, audio device, etc feeding off fuse 15 that you are not aware of? I guess it is possible you could have a wire harness that is pinched to ground causing the draw but this seems unlikely. Good luck with your troubleshooting...

Old 12-28-2015, 05:49 PM

Two new conditions i can try as suggested--place amp meter on fuse 15, watch draw as fuses are pulled; Just answer overlooked this. Also will pull under dash fuses with door closed suggested by repair tech locally.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MegawattMaker
I had a very strange starting problem once that was these exact symptoms. (after 3 new batteries) What had happened is as the starter brushes wore and were drawing more amps than they should have been and would only do this when the car was good and warm. Chased this one for a couple of years before I nailed it.
Bingo on this one, put a starter in it and stop chasing ghosts...every 2003 4 cylinder Accord has had this issue...ask me how I know

Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 AM

A bad starter can cause erratic problems, but that does not explain the amp drop pulling one fuse when the engine is off. It's been a while since we have had a start problem after the new battery. Sometimes the car cranks slower and longer, so the amp draw still exists, sometimes. A new and hopefully related problem is that the lighted display panel for the radio/ heat/AC is out. I haven't checked fuses yet.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Let us know when you put a starter in it, and the starter issue is fixed. And no, the display problem is not related.

Quick Reply: Rare starting problem