General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rattle - Buzz - Ting Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 12:44 PM
Unhappy Rattle - Buzz - Ting - FOUND IT - but need more help

Hello Accord Owners Team,

Happy to have found your group!

I just purchased a 2008 Accord Coupe V6 for my son's 1st car. I think it's a dream purchase - no accidents, 26,000 miles (Yes really 26,000) I replaced all fluids, got a new timing belt kit, serpentine belt. The mechanic agreed it's a wonderful 1st car.

Now I'm tearing my hair out due to a rattle - buzz -ting, coming from the dash - maybe. I know sound travels, so of course I can't be sure. I happens at about 1,800 RPM and over bumps. I can recreate it with my fist. If bang on the dash above the steering wheel or above the radio it rattles. I "think" it rattles most, closer to the driver's seat vs. the window and does seem "maybe" a little louder above the steering wheel. Is it plastic? Is it a thin spring?

Please help me figure it out. It's Chinese water torture.

The 1st audio is without the engine running, the 2nd part I'm driving. Both parts you will hear me bang on the dash with closed fist (thumb up). The ting sound is the noise. The loud BANG IS NOT THE NOISE

What else can I provide to have you help me figure this out? When I asked the mechanic if he can hear it, he just said "I hear expensive"

Attached Files
File Type: avi
rattle avi smaller.avi (2.49 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by hillbie; 09-22-2022 at 01:59 PM. Reason: updating
Old 09-20-2022, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. It is hard to tell the noise from the recording. Is the car moving when you normally hear the noise, or does it happen when in park at 1,800 rpm?

Old 09-20-2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. It is hard to tell the noise from the recording. Is the car moving when you normally hear the noise, or does it happen when in park at 1,800 rpm?
Thank you. I checked and I can duplicate the noise by reving up to 1800 while in park. The noise is also there at lower RPM's when driving on bumpy roads. It does come and go depending on the vibrations of the car.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Start with an assistant and listen for the noise inside vs outside the car just to be sure it is inside. Were any aftermarket items installed on your car like a stereo or an alarm/remote start system?

Old 09-22-2022, 01:57 PM

Found it, but now what? I jammed a thick piece of paper towel in between this metal plate and the plastic in front of it. That did the trick, but I'm sure I should do something more permanent. And after about an hour of driving the paper towel shifted and the buzz came back, but not nearly as loud. Should I continue to tear down the dash? This piece of the dash in front looks a little more difficult to take out. I can't find a video. I see at least 1 screw all way to the left, but that's all I see from the front, I haven't been underneath. I'm not sure if this is just clipped in. I could put in something like spongy window seal.

Here's a video - (edited) the audio starts after the pic with the circle:

Last edited by hillbie; 09-22-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Can't hear sound on the video. Not a big deal. Is the plastic loose or the metal plate?

Old 09-22-2022, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Can't hear sound on the video. Not a big deal. Is the plastic loose or the metal plate?
You probably didn't listen long enough. I went from a still pic to a video. It's the metal plate. TIA

Old 09-26-2022, 10:15 AM

Looks like there may be a screw missing. Take the knee bolster out and I bet it will be obvious what you need to do. FYI - knee bolster is the panel under the dash.
If fact, try adjusting the angle of the steering column and see what happens.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
- knee bolster is the panel under the dash.
If fact, try adjusting the angle of the steering column and see what happens.
Thanks. I already tried adjusting the steering column while I testing, but that didn't do anything. The ting/buzz is still there. Do you know where the clips or screws are on that panel? I did see a screw on the left and 1 on the right, but I don't want to take them out, unless I know where others or clips are, as I don't want to break anything. I did search on the net, but can't find anything.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:03 AM

Try looking up "2008 Honda Dash removal". There are several that I saw - some are civics, etc... but the concept should be the same.

Quick Reply: Rattle - Buzz - Ting Please HELP!