General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear crankshaft seal engine leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Default Rear crankshaft seal engine leak

My daughter's 1998 Accord has 250,000 miles. She has had it for 8 years and 100,000 miles.

I have done a lot of work keeping it running and now it has a leak at the crankshaft seal (the side that goes into the transmission). I am having to add 1/2 quart to 3/4 quart every 2 weeks.
I am borderline on giving up and saying it has been a good run. I read the Haynes and Chilton manuals and both say to "drop the engine".

When I look at the engine, I would think I can separate the engine from the transmission and raise it up enough to remove the flywheel, then change the crankshaft seal, then drop the engine back in place.
Is there any easy way ( or shortcuts) to replace this seal?

I have been checking Honda CR-V's as a back up plan in case I really give up. Anyone have any opinions about CR-V's?

PS, I am not sorry I got this car. It was fairly easy to work on and repair. Just sad that this may be the end of the road over a $20 part.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
My daughter's 1998 Accord has 250,000 miles. She has had it for 8 years and 100,000 miles.

I have done a lot of work keeping it running and now it has a leak at the crankshaft seal (the side that goes into the transmission). I am having to add 1/2 quart to 3/4 quart every 2 weeks.
I am borderline on giving up and saying it has been a good run. I read the Haynes and Chilton manuals and both say to "drop the engine".

When I look at the engine, I would think I can separate the engine from the transmission and raise it up enough to remove the flywheel, then change the crankshaft seal, then drop the engine back in place.
Is there any easy way ( or shortcuts) to replace this seal?

I have been checking Honda CR-V's as a back up plan in case I really give up. Anyone have any opinions about CR-V's?

PS, I am not sorry I got this car. It was fairly easy to work on and repair. Just sad that this may be the end of the road over a $20 part.
I think that would work, except you'll probably have to unbolt the trans mounts and remove the drive axles to slide it back far enough to get the flywheel off to access the seal. It might be more work than planned, is what I'm saying. Keep in mind that you'd still have to tap the new seal back in place. A nice weekend job, if you take your time.
It's not like it owes you anything, and it must still be a reliable car, if you're thinking about replacing the seal.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:38 PM

Yea, that's the thing, I can do brakes, alts, replaced the gear position sensor last year, etc...

But the idea of taking 2 days for a 22 year old car and the car is barely worth $1000- makes be think it's time to move on.
Or maybe just go ahead and put it out of it's misery

Old 04-03-2020, 04:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you have the proper tools I say it's worth spending the weekend to get some extra months out of it. Depending on how long you are wanting to keep it you're only spending $20 and time. But you know best what you're time means. You'll have to do maintenance on the CR-V if you purchase one used. They are solid.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Is her car a manual or an automatic? If a manual, it might be getting time for a clutch, so killing two birds with one stone might make sense. When it was clutch time on my TL I ended up dropping the transmission and then did the rear main seal while the tranny was out.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:08 PM

It's an automatic. With whats going on ( virus, etc...).. I think I'll just check the oil every other week and see how it goes.
At least, there is no pressure to make a decision in a hurry.

Thanks everyone for their inputs!