General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacement / Used engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Default Replacement / Used engine

I have been trying to repair my engine after it overheated and blew a head gasket. It seems that there is more damage to the engine than I first noticed.

I have to make a decision..
The car has 330,000 miles. Suspension was replaced a year ago.
The interior of the car is a 9-10. The exterior is a solid 7-8. Outside of the engine the car drove beautifully.
My choices are
To sell my 2006 Accord as is, replace the motor with a used one and sell it or replace the engine and continue to drive it.

I do not have any experience with used engines and am a little skeptical. If I do buy one, what is the best way to ensure that I get a good motor? Will I have trouble smogging the new engine? I live in California ( strict smog regulations) can I still get an engine out of state that will work?

My questions.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get a used engine? I know there are hundreds of places but looking for a recommendation.

Looking for an objective opinion as to whether I should keep the car or just bite the bullet and get a new car.

If I sell the car, should I replace the engine first so I can get top dollar for it? Or do you think best to sell as is?

I know there are a lot of questions here and I appreciate all of your help..

Mark

Old 10-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

The best way to determine if the engine is good is to see if the supplier will give you a compression test and also a leak-down test. I linked a video below with someone covering buying a used engine. He is very thorough and has good suggestions. Not sure if everything he does is feasible.

You can try car-part.com to search local junkyards.

You want to match the K24A8 and the next 2 numbers from the engine block.
K24A8-XX.

I'd think that you would either sell as-is, or replace the engine and drive. I don't see why you would sell the car after spending the money on replacing the engine. You won't get the money out that you put into it.