General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing Broken Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 04:09 PM
Default Replacing Broken Power Antenna

Hello.
This new-to-us 91 Accord came with no mast on the power antenna. Apparently broken off at some point in time is what it looks like. I got an inexpensive, non-power antenna here https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-R...tenna/16652627. But when I put in the after market radio, it looked like a lot of trouble to thread the cable from back there to the unit. I saw some threads that talked about hooking a wire to the end of the old one when you pull it out and using it for a lead for the new cable. From the looks of it though- after being in there since 1991?- it seems like it could be some trouble. I can't tell where it feeds, if it's up over the door or where. Has anyone done this and has any heads up's to consider? Or other suggestions for an easier way to get an antenna? A short something that goes up onto the dash maybe? I haven't looked at these, but kind of saw them in the conversations about antenna- something like a windshield antenna?
Thanks.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

The easiest way would be to figure out how to plug the original antenna wire into you new antenna. Below is a video addressing this type of repair and may help.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:47 PM

Apology for delayed Thank You. Ended up just leaving it alone and somehow the radio started working by itself. Depending what part of town driving, it can vary what stations it picks up. I hear the antenna motor do it's thing whenever I turn on car and radio, so maybe whatever it has left to it is able to pick up some signal.
Thanks again.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure why I missed this one at the time, but...

You don't have to thread anything through the cabin. The antenna wire disconnects back in the trunk, close to the antenna. It's a push-pin connector pretty much like the same connector that plugs into the radio unit up front. So there's no need for a long wire like the one built into your new antenna. Just leave it coiled up & plug into the existing antenna wire at the back.
(that is assuming the existing antenna extension wire in the car is OK)