General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The rest of the story

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Default The rest of the story

I posted a while back about my fuel pump / rev limiter. The car ran fine as long as you took it easy. Punch the throttle and it would rev up to 3800-4000 rpms and start bucking or act like you put the brakes on. I hate to admit this I mean I really hate it. I have never done anything like this with any car I have ever owned. My engine was saying "Please , your killing me" !First off, I was looking for a cheap fix, or rather one that didn't involve a labor bill, so I asked a friend who as far as I'm concerned is a good mechanic and body man. I have taken his advice many times to the satisfaction of my pocket book. He took the car out and drove it and said he thought it was the fuel pump. Good enough for me $170.00 later I had replaced a good fuel pump with a new fuel pump andof course had the same problem. Then I got on the internet and found this site. One of the first things I read was "Always Diognose First Before Replacing Parts"- crap! To late. Well I won't buy anymore expensive parts at least until I have picked the brains of the people on this site. The check engine light was on so I took it to Auto Zone and they pulled up the code P1259. Oil pressure switch was the easiest to start with so I checked the oil pressure switch's connections to make sure they were on tight and seemed to be. Then I thought I better check the engine oil before I started it up. Here's the bad part- no oil on the dip stick ! I about _hit! I have never let a vehicle get below the add mark. I don't know what happendhereto many irons in the fire and I just screwed up. Four quarts to bring it up to full ! How the !#@% did it keep running ? It doesn't burn oil, nothing dripping out on the ground. I have four kids with cars, my wifes van and my truck I just let this one slip through the cracks. Any way , added the oil , started it up and took it out for a drive. As far as the problem I was having with it bucking and acting like the brakes were on all gone . Runs great. 234,000. I don't know if that will be the last of this problem or not. I can't hardly believe it will but so far so good. I'm going to change the filter and oil this weekend. I still have other issue's I'm trying to figure out but I thought I should at least tell you what seems to have been the problem. I don't know ?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: The rest of the story

Good luck with that. Most people who let the oil go that low, end up with BIG $$$$$ problems.

You may want to change your oil early/short for a couple times, just to help clean out any crud. And cross your fingers & hope & pray & ???

BTW, we DO appreciate hearing the end of the story. Too many people just disappear & we never find out whether they fixed anything or not.