General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reverse and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Default Reverse and Brakes

1999 Honda Accord LX ULEV, Trans - XPAX30

Bought it used and noticed squeak from brakes. Previous owner said dealership couldn't find out the problem. I replaced disc's, calipers, and pads. Still squeaks. Don't know what to do next and now the new calipers have grooves on them.

2nd Problem and most worrying. While car is warm and reversing it the car slows down and feels like something is restricting it. I shift to neutral and then back to reverse just to gain a few more feet of travel and then have to do it over again. All other gears work fine. Please help. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I am thinking you mean the rotors are now grooved. Having brake squeak is usually related to the pads and the lubrication you use at the where the pads slide in the steering knuckle, both sides of the shims, where the caliper piston engages the pads ,and where the outer pads is contacted by the caliper. Your best chance of not getting noise is using a Honda pad and either grease that comes with them or something like “anti seize” which is what the dealership I used to work at used. If you went with an aftermarket pad that is very hard you will have noise, and wear out rotors while the pad last longer. Did you go with Honda pads?

I can’t help with the trans but someone will be able to.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Yes, rotor is what I meant. I've used the anti-squeak stuff with no success. I've owned honda's before and used aftermarket pads with no squeak. If all the parts are aftermarket then it shouldn't matter which pads I use, right? I replaced my toyota truck with aftermarket parts and it never squeaks. Is there something else it could be?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 PM

"If all the parts are aftermarket then it shouldn't matter which pads I use, right" No

I used to do the used cars at a Honda dealer as well as some German brand vehicles also and we went with what worked. On the German cars I had a source for the same pads as the OEM used but the Honda’s I never found anything that was worth the issues vs the savings. That was back when pads were asbestos and now it is much more complicated to get a pad to last and be quiet. We didn’t have to buy parts from our dealership.

“no squeak” are you referring to the liquid which is like a tube of silicon sealer or a type of lubricate. The liquid is made for pads that the outer doesn’t ride in a slot in steering knuckle like a Honda but is held in placed by tabs that fit over the caliper. If you used the liquid it will cause all kinds of issue with parts hanging up.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 AM

did you do frt and rears brakes??..........
make sure that all wheels spin freely and brakes are not hanging up

if you did just the fronts , for sure chk the rears ,,if it has shoes make sure that they are not adjusted too tight ,,if pads make sure that calipers are not hanging up
could be the squeaking and the car feeling like it is dragging

Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 AM

Replacing the rear drums and shoes was the second thing I did because I thought that might be the problem as well. I'll check the brakes adjustment but I'm pretty sure the wheels move freely.