General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Question Rust?

Hey Guys!

Take a look at the pic. Should I be worried about the rust?
I plan to keep this car for at least 5-6 years.

Should I get some kind of rust treatment/undercoating?
Thanks for your help!
F1

Old 11-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Living in the rust belt myself, I don't see anything shocking. Possibly have a closer look at the front & rear subframes, & possibly get something on there. Brush it good and paint something like POR-15 on it. Then spray some rust protection goop - its awful messy runny stuff that dries kinda waxy.

One thing to look at more closely is where the condensate water drains out from the air conditioner. See whether that has caused much corrosion on the front subframe, which isn't real easy to see from this view.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Living in the rust belt myself, I don't see anything shocking. Possibly have a closer look at the front & rear subframes, & possibly get something on there. Brush it good and paint something like POR-15 on it. Then spray some rust protection goop - its awful messy runny stuff that dries kinda waxy.

One thing to look at more closely is where the condensate water drains out from the air conditioner. See whether that has caused much corrosion on the front subframe, which isn't real easy to see from this view.
Agreed. It looks cleaner under yours than it does under my 99. The one place you can't see visually is the fuel/brake lines under the plastic runner, as they like to rust there. Otherwise like Jim mentioned, the right rear corner of the front sub, where the condensor for the AC drains. You could probably wire brush as much as you can reach, then coat it with some chassis black paint to slow it down.If you don't feel like doing anything, don't worry about it. In a few years you'll probably be under there to either replace the fuel/brake lines, or the fuel tank (they like to rust at the seam). I know, as I've already done that on my own car, and the lines on my wife's 00 Accord.