General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Setting the timing/

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by woody31
I need to set the timing with a timing light, I removed the dizzy when i took out the transmission, I marked it and it is close but need to make final adjustments, how do you do this? I tried search but not much luck, I know it involves jumping a service port but need a link or a lil info on this, thanks, in advance,, it is a 4 cyl v-tech auto trans
Thanks for the link to the video, I watched it. However I am still not sure how this applies to my 96. That was on a acura and clearly not the same motor as I have . Is there a SPECIFIC link to show how to do it on my car, I did look in the diy and did not find anything, the search section on this forum leaves ALOT to be desired when it comes to navigation and function, thanks for your time.
ok i looked 3 times, there is not a SPECIFIC link to my ?? I need to set the timing on my 96 ACCORD, not acura, i looked 3 times thru , no luck, could someone post a SPECIFIC LINK TO A 96 ACCORD. Thanks
Strike 2 , You never answered my first ? How come when I moved the dizzy it ran much better. The dizzy has moved, so has the timing table, be it advance, mechanical or otherwise, your remark does not hold water. Thanks for your time.

If someone else has a valid link or advise, please post here, thanks
Your first question was regarding setting the timing. It was answered that your 96 timing is controlled by the car's computer. The distributor position doesn't affect timing.

You're incorrect logic and attitude is why this thread is closed. One week ban.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have a pdf of the factory service manual that shows the distributor has slots where you can adjust the timing. I had a 95 accord that did have this feature, and I never owned a 96.

Does your distributor have slots where you can rotate the distributor? According to the update from Redbull, there is no adjustment.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Timing update

First: thanks to all who replied and tried to help. It seems that the distributor is slotted. I removed it to get to a bolt while removing my transmission, after reinstalling it, I could tell it was off, I set the timing EXACTLY like the video posted above, it worked flawlessly. I set it to 15* btdc and it runs great. The marks on the balancer where exactly like the video, my best guess is,,,
I think a few early production 96s came with some end of the run 95 parts, this is common in other auto makers, not sure on honda, but that would explain the slotted dizzy and a few other odd things on this car, again thanks to all who replied, next on the list is a new muffler.