General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shaking - My experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM

I have an 89 accord, 5 speed. I haven't replaced anything except the rotors are fairly new and the pads...and cv joints...but, I have the same exact issue...55+ seems to shake like no other. My watch shakes on my wrist!

I don't want to go replacing many things to find it doesn't help..any ideas would be great!

Ken

Originally Posted by twilliamsen
I have an 1988 Accord with a 5-spd.

I noticed that it has shaking at high speeds, almost feels like a either a tire is out of balance or a broken belt, but not really as the steering "loose"

Braking the shaking is bad. Hold a martini and it will be well shaken.

I went through some troubleshooting myself with the help of this forum and along with my training in the automotive industry.

So far I have:
  • Replaced the front brakes including the rotors, calipers and pads.
  • Replaced the clutch(it wore out anyways)
  • Replaced upper control arms and ball joints on all four corners
  • Replaced the front tires because they were worn unevenly and the tread looked like the rockies
  • Replaced the outer tie rod ends (inners no play)
I don't really want to keep dumping money in a 22 yr old car with 230k miles, but it is really ticking me off!

The only thing I can think of could the half shafts be bent to throw off the balance? The only thing with the axles is that would it make the car feel like there is play in the steering?

Note: the upper control arms definately helped make the car feel stiff in the ride, and feels like there is more control.
The play in the steering seems like the key to the symptoms, but I am at a lost.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ken,, chk the wheel balance, if ok,, chk for any loose or worn suspension parts in the frt end

Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What brand rotor did you use? You didn’t by chance replace the tapered headed bolt that holds them to the hub with a standard bolt or anything that doesn’t fit flush? Were both tires worn and can you clarify” looked like the rockies” is .Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel, floor or what?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 AM

It isn't the brakes. The problem was there BEFORE I replaced the brakes. I replaced the rotors TWICE without any improvements. Calipers, rotors, and pads were replaced twice.

FYI: if the rotors were warped then you would only feel it while braking, and you would feel the vibration while braking, which is not the case.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Question

If you have drove ...say about a 200 miles on those new tires in the front , take a look at them now and see if there are any kind of scrubs, ridges or cupping marks to them...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Shaking - My experience-911crumbling.jpg