General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shear bolts and ignition switch replacement for '97 Accord DX

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 06:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Shear bolts and ignition switch replacement for '97 Accord DX

I'm stuck while attempting to replace the ignition switch on my 1997 Honda Accord DX.

I've removed one sheer bolt (by tapping the head counterclockwise with a screwdriver) and the other one is stuck in the mounting bracket on top of the steering column. Partly my fault -- I should have removed both at the same time.

I thought I'd relieve the pressure on the stuck bolt by installing an 8mm hex bolt in the other side -- but there is no room to get a socket wrench under the dash!

I can fit a socket on the bolt, but I can't attach the wrench to it. There is just not enough room. The tutorials I watched showed enough room for a wrench. And yes, I've dropped the steering column.

The old ignition switch is still installed. I have to get the bracket off the steering column before I can remove the ignition harness and replace the switch.

How do I get a socket wrench in this tight space?

I'm attaching an image of the bracket with shear bolts. I've since removed the one on the right, but the left one is stuck tight.

Video tutorials for this task:

How to Replace Ignition Switch 94-97 Honda Accord

94-97 Honda Accord Ignition Switch Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S0S-qnKmBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0pYfY31h5Y

Last edited by slobjones; 02-23-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A box wrench will not fit to take the 8mm off? I've never heard of putting a bolt on those.

If you can't get a wrench in there I don't know what else you could use. Put the other bolt back in or clamp the other side down to get pressure off of the bolt you need to get off. All you needed was a flat head and a hammer to get those bolts off and nothing else.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Seanjordan, I appreciate your reply. With effort, I used a box wrench to remove that hex bolt from the right side of the mount.

I've replaced it with a socket cap screw, which installed with an Allen wrench. That should have relieved the pressure on the remaining shear bolt.

Unfortunately, the shear bolt still will not budge. I've chewed it up pretty well, as you can see from the attached image.

I need to get this shear bolt out. I'd try to cut a flathead slot in the top, but I doubt a dremel will fit here.

I welcome any suggestions.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:36 PM

Are you saying it's stuck. They are not torqued down with much pressure. Get a flat head and hammer. Place the flathead in the direction you want to turn it and hit the screw driver pushing the screwdriver in the direction (counter clockwise) you want to turn it. It should turn maybe a 1/4 at a time but it will come out.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sadly, that's how I chewed up this shear bolt. It's not turning. I only got the first one to begin to unscrew after much effort.

Last edited by slobjones; 02-24-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:12 PM

Was there moisture/rust because it definitely should come right out. Did you hit with PB blaster or wd40

Old 03-02-2020, 03:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The remaining shear bolt is out. I sprayed it with Aerokroil and cut a flathead screwdriver notch using a Craftsman cutting tool fitted with wand attachment and cutting wheel, somewhat similar to this Harbor Freight tool: https://www.harborfreight.com/96-vol...kit-63389.html.

Banged on the bolt with the flathead screwdriver and finally got it loose enough to turn with the screwdriver.

Instead of using the shear bolts in the Honda ignition switch kit, I tightened the upper bracket with a pair of M8-1.25 x 14mm socket head cap screws from Fastenal (https://www.fastenal.com/product;jse...=2139649&fsi=1).

Thanks to all for your help!

Old 03-02-2020, 04:03 PM

The many years I've changed ignitions I've never had that issue with a shear bolt.

Glad you got it out. There may not be a next time but if there is you won't have an issue.