General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I replace timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Default Should I replace timing belt?

I just purchased a used Accord LX 99 (4-cyl) at 140K miles. The previous owner said he got the timing belt replaced at 90K but got no receipt/evidence. Now, a month after the purchase, I have come across many scary stories about what happen when the timing belt is broken and become worried.

Is it possible that the original timing belt can last till 140K? Can I assume that's virtually impossible and thus I can just keep running the car? If not, how much should I expect to pay for this replacement (together with the type of replacement usually come with it)?

Thank you!

Last edited by paulnguyen; 04-01-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Its possible the original belt could last to 140k, but it would be very near its end. Honda recommends the belt is replaced at 105k miles or every 7 years. Did he say when he got it replaced? Because its possible it was over 7 years ago.

Just for peace of mind I personally would get it replaced if you have the funds available to do so. I would expect to pay $400-500 to have it replaced. When it is replaced most people replace the water pump as well because it takes an extra 10 minutes to replace it when the timing belt is already off.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM

Thanks! He said he changed it in 2005, so that's already 7 years. I think I'll get it changed then.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM

My mechanic said he's changed original timing belts at 200k miles. Now is that a good idea?

Probably not, but neither is a design that will ruin the engine if the belt fails. Solution? Timing chain, it will virtually never break or skip. Chain wears to cog and will meld itself to the shape of the cog(just like a single-speed bicycle). My friend's Ford T-bird has a timing chain, one thing I like about fords.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Hondahonda
My mechanic said he's changed original timing belts at 200k miles. Now is that a good idea?

Probably not, but neither is a design that will ruin the engine if the belt fails. Solution? Timing chain, it will virtually never break or skip. Chain wears to cog and will meld itself to the shape of the cog(just like a single-speed bicycle). My friend's Ford T-bird has a timing chain, one thing I like about fords.
helpful post of the day award....

Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM

700-900 depending on what else they do.

I changed mine at 125k and the belt looked fine. Most mechanics will ask if you want them to replace the water pump and oil pump while they are doing it, its not a bad idea since you are right there.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 PM

I did it myself, parts can be had for less than $100. It can easily be done by anyone who is mechanically inclined and has a manual. There are youtube videos as well. $500 for a day's work is pretty good IMO.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hondahonda

until your friends t-birds nylon crank and cam gears disintegrate, he'll be fine...then ask him how much he likes it in fact, most of the older domestic vehicles with chains used nylon gears to combat noise.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 PM

don't the newer K series have a chain rather than a belt?

Old 08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the K-series has a chain with steel sprockets. (2003 & newer 4-cyl Accords)
The R-series (2006+ Civic) also has a chain & steel sprockets.
The V-6 still has a belt.

Quick Reply: Should I replace timing belt?