General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Side Airbag Light - Not the Usual Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 01:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Side Airbag Light - Not the Usual Issue

2001 Accord V6

My Side airbag light is periodically turning on. I took a look for other threads and they all seem to be the Side Airbag Off light behaving as it should. This is not behavior as intended. This is NOT the result of passengers, objects on the seat, or turning.

I noticed it a few days ago with something small on the seat and though "odd, must have been on the seat just right for it to detect that." and didn't think anything of it until I to move my car the other day and the light was on with nothing in the car. I took a more thorough look while sitting in park in my driveway the light would come on. Stay on for a minute and then turn off for a few minutes. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. The intervals were irregular with it sometimes staying off for a fair bit of time at a spell or staying on. Occasionally, if I leaned over from the driver's seat to the passenger seat, the light would turn off again. I noticed if I sat i the passenger seat, it stayed off. So it seems to be detecting weight, but having a hard time figuring out when nobody is sitting on the seat.

Normally, I wouldn't worry too much because I understand that the Side Airbag light is to tell you someone is sitting cockeyed or is too light for the seat. But while driving, that's super distracting to suddenly have a yellow light pop on for no discernible reason. Since it does it while not moving, my guess is that the sensor has lived its life.

However, looking at the book, it seems to indicate that the sensor/OPDS is part of the Seatback pad. Looking at the diagrams for the seat in the book and online, I'm guessing they're referring to the "Seat-back cover/pad" which looks to be the whole leather seat back for that seat. Are they kidding? You can't just swap the sensor? you basically have to swap half the seat? Anything else I should check before committing to that? It's not the cheapest solution, though I certainly worry if I put it off, they'll discontinue it. Looking at parts online, my color seats(gray) are fortunately still available but the other (beige) isn't.

If its swap the seat or nothing, The parts I'm looking at online, seems to have 2 versions of the same part. One labelled "Setex" and the other labelled "Tsu". I'm guessing only one is correct. How do I tell?

And lastly, How much of a nightmare is initializing the OPDS without the Honda PGM? The book does suggest reinitializing it before replacement, but I don't have a Honda PGM. I have one of the nice readers that does ABS and SRS codes, but without any codes being thrown, I don't think I can do anything with that in this circumstance.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

1. The OPDS unit can be initialized without HDS (which replaced Honda PGM). To initialize OPDS without HDS or Honda PGM, (A) you need to ground the SCS line (pin 9) on the OBDII port; then (B) follow the reset instructions with the jumper or switch on the MES 2P connector. -- See post #5 of this other thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p...s-unit-961165/

2. Attached are images of the terminal pin numbers and wire colors. Make sure you jump the correct wire terminals.

3. The leather seat cover is separate from the seat back cushion (foam) with the OPDS sensor. You can re-use your leather seat cover with the proper color. The seat back cushion with the OPDS sensor built in is still pricey though.

4. See this Honda TSB for some info.: Honda TSB 06-009

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-12-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ah. Okay. That makes more sense than the whole back being connected.

Thanks for the links and info. That's a huge help.

That is a steep price. Hopefully re initializing it is all the wake up call it needs.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

This is a Honda tech video that refers to OPDS initialization that works on some later Hondas, without the need to use HDS or ground the SCS line. I am including it because some of the information in the video gives tips that may still apply to your generation Accord.