General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slips out of gear between 2nd and 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Slips out of gear between 2nd and 3rd

I started talking about this problem a while ago but wanted to start again with a clear description in the title. I've been dealing with this for about 20K miles. When driving normally the trans slips out of gear between 2nd and 3rd. If I get it up to 30+ mph and let off the gas, it will go into 3rd. If I am going uphill at 30 and give it gas, it slips back out of gear. I can either rev it really hard and it will catch 2nd, or shift to 2nd and get it up to 35+ to get it to catch 3rd. If I do everything right and get it into 3rd and fourth etc, the D light will still flash green after a while. Sometimes after even a short drive the TCS light will come on and it will never get past 2nd. At that point I have to shut off the motor and restart. I have had several codes which led me to replace the solenoids 11 and 12, 13 and 14, and the dual linear two-solenoid pack on the top (7). I removed and cleaned the screens on solenoid 8 but it was clean anyway and there was no change. This is the third time I replaced 7 because the first two caused really hard downshifting. The third one seemed to change the way the problem occured and made it more drivable but the problem eventually went back, like the computer was trying to learn how to shift right again then gave up. I did the 3 quart change and new filter about 10K ago, then did 3 more quarts yesterday. Drain plug was covered in metal shavings each time. None of the screens were clogged on 7 or 8. I ordered solenoid 8 yesterday and waiting on that, and researched a new PCM. Seems I will have to have that reprogrammed. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated!

V6 3.0
BAXA trans
F2 A730 6A73000WM0 37820-RCA-A73 PCM
KA5 AT

n

Old 09-19-2023, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

What year is your accord?

The transmission shifts/works by pumping hydraulic fluid through the system, where the PCM controls the valves/solenoids to divert the hydraulic pressure to the right component to engage each gear. Either your transmission has an internal hydraulic/mechanical issue or the transmission is not being controlled by the PCM where either the PCM, the wiring, or the external controls/sensors are faulty.

If the root cause is an internal mechanical transmission problem, then you essentially have to rebuild/replace the transmission. Hydraulic issues might be solved by replacing the transmission fluid. The transmission holds about 9 qts of fluid, but you can only drain about 3 qts. To replace most the fluid fresh fluid, you need to drain 3 qts, add 3 fresh qts, drive so the new fluid is mixed with the old (I'd drive for a day), then repeat two more times to exchange most of the fluid.

Replacing the fluid is the cheapest route to solve an internal transmission problem. Anything else internal will be an expensive fix as you have to disassemble the transmission to repair.

For a PCM/electrical/sensor problem, you'll have to start by posting the actual codes you have on the transmission and troubleshoot accordingly. It would be helpful if your scanner can read live PCM data to see what the PCM is commanding. I'd also recommend posting the codes read from the PCM.