General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow crank on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 05:22 AM
Default Slow crank on cold start

2007 Honda Accord 177k miles. Brand new starter, battery. The alternator has been tested and is working. Battery terminals are new. I’ve been have issues with a slow crank on cold starts. Car will always start it’s just slow crank. I’ve been to two mechanics. First told be bad battery, which didn’t fix the issue. Second did starter and tested for a battery draw. I was told the car was drawing power from battery from my drivers side window switch. First day after getting car back problem is still happening. Anyone have any new ideas. After watching some videos online, I’ve noticed the grounds can go bad. Both grounds I can see look good and tight. Is there any others I should look for?

Old 03-08-2022, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Starters are pretty simple circuits and most mechanics should be able to troubleshoot.

Try a voltage drop test from the + wire of the battery to the large terminal of the starter. You need to measure the voltage when the engine is cranking. Simplest way is to have an assistant start the car. You could also use a jumper cable from the large post on the starter to the + battery post. Just be extra careful not to ground the jumper cable. when attaching. If the starter works quickly, then the + battery cable or the connections are bad.