General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smart man help my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 11:22 PM
Default Smart man help my brakes

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The short answer is I am not sure if it is a direct drop in. It will likely require some modifications to work. Just do your homework before attempting to reduce surprises. You may get to a point where finding a 96/97 engine makes more sense as that is a direct drop-in.

For engine swaps between generations, the motor mounts in the engine bay may be in different locations, where you'd have to weld in a new mount. Hopefully the 97 accord motor mounts will bolt into the 99 engine. You'll want to compare the PCM pinout on the 97 vs 99 if you use the original 97 wire harness. I'm not sure if you'll need a 99 PCM or if the 97 will work.
​​​​​​You seem knowledgeable, I'm doing a 2019 Cadillac AMG CLA45 swap on my 1988 Honda Accord, and I'm struggling with brake power, what are some fast simple booster swaps?

Old 06-27-2023, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Moved your post to a new thread to make the original thread less confusing.

Sounds like you put a 375hp engine into a vehicle designed for a 135hp, so the brakes are designed to stop a 135hp engine and much lighter car. My guess is that you need more surface area between the brake pad a brake rotor to stop your car. You'll probably have to look into a larger rim + lower profile tire to get a larger rotor and larger brake pads/calipers.

Look into the rotor diameter for the cla45 vehicle and compare to the stock accord rotor size. I'd then try to find a rotor that fits your hub around that same size. Then you'd need calipers (probably double piston) that hold brake pads that will fit that rotor. I have no idea what calipers would bolt onto the stock accord knuckle to accommodate your braking needs.

I highly advise not to drive your car on open roads until you get this resolved. Having marginal brakes is the worst vehicle condition and is a danger to you and others on the road.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Moved your post to a new thread to make the original thread less confusing.

Sounds like you put a 375hp engine into a vehicle designed for a 135hp, so the brakes are designed to stop a 135hp engine and much lighter car. My guess is that you need more surface area between the brake pad a brake rotor to stop your car. You'll probably have to look into a larger rim + lower profile tire to get a larger rotor and larger brake pads/calipers.

Look into the rotor diameter for the cla45 vehicle and compare to the stock accord rotor size. I'd then try to find a rotor that fits your hub around that same size. Then you'd need calipers (probably double piston) that hold brake pads that will fit that rotor. I have no idea what calipers would bolt onto the stock accord knuckle to accommodate your braking needs.

I highly advise not to drive your car on open roads until you get this resolved. Having marginal brakes is the worst vehicle condition and is a danger to you and others on the road.
THe issue isn't with the rotors and calipers but the brake slave itself, it doesn't produce enough volume to accommodate for my new setup, so I was hoping you'd have knowledge on direct slave swaps

Old 06-28-2023, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

The brake booster increases hydraulic pressure to the caliper, I suspect that your brake pads are getting enough pressure on the rotor, but the heat generated with the extra power and extra weight are causing the pads to overheat and will give you brake fade. My opinion is to get more surface area between the pad and rotors to have enough friction to stop the car. A brake booster may not be effective. Think about it this way, you didn't change anything with the brake lines, rotors, spindle, etc, so why are you having braking issues?

My suggestion is to get help from a shop that does high power engine mods/swaps to get a recommendation on brake caliper/pad/rotor setups for the HP and weight added to your car. I think the braking setup on your car can't handle the HP and weight and is a potentially dangerous situation. Hopefully a rotor/caliper setup for a similar weight vehicle/HP engine can be installed.