General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke from Radiator Cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Smoke from Radiator Cap

if the cap isnt releasing the pressure correctly it could build up too much pressure and push the water out of the upper hose. Of course, since its no longer pressurized after it leaks out, it immediatly boils and turns into steam.

If it still steams after you replace the rad cap, you should have the system cold pressurized.

you can either get it tested, or buy a tester at sears for like $20-50. dont pressureize it too much, only to whatever the rad cap opens at.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the thermostat is broken, the cap should allow the steam to escape through the overflow tank. If this is what is meant by the smoke near the upper hose, you may want to look into this ..... easy, cheap fix. Otherwise, a faulty cap does seem likely as mentioned.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM

So the reservior is empty, I filled it up with honda's antifreeze. It still smokes! What I noticed is this: After the engine reaches engine opertating temp or the radiator smoking, the fans dont come on!!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM

well, there ya go. most likely the thermoswitch on teh thermostat housing failed.

turn the key on, engine off.

disconnect the thermoswitch on the thermostat housing.

take a paper clip or piece of wire and jump the two terminals in the connector together.

do both radiator fans come on?

if so, replace that thermoswitch and verify everything is ok.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 PM

QUESTION! So by connecting the terminals, what does it do? Refreshes it?

I shorted the terminal (assuming I located it correctly) with a a paper clip. Nothing Happened. :-(

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

well, there ya go. most likely the thermoswitch on teh thermostat housing failed.

turn the key on, engine off.

disconnect the thermoswitch on the thermostat housing.

take a paper clip or piece of wire and jump the two terminals in the connector together.

do both radiator fans come on?

if so, replace that thermoswitch and verify everything is ok.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM

I noticed that the upper radiator hose is hotter than the lower one.

When A/C is on, fans turn on. When A/C off, fans off.

I want to say that the "temp" sensor is reading a cold temperature and not realizing that it is actually hot.

Is the temp sensor for the thermostat, the one with a green plug, just below the air intake tube?

1997 Honda Accord 4cyl EX

Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 PM

no, not refresh. lets talk about what the thermoswitch does.

the thermoswitch is just a temperature switch. when it's gets hot enough the switch closes and the fans come on.

if your telling me the fans never come on i'd think something is wrong with this particular thermoswitch since it's a fairly common failure item. by jumping the two terminals together you are forcing the fans to run as if it was the switch normally turning them on. so if the fans come on you found the problem - replace that thermoswitch.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:04 PM

I guess the rain turned me retarded! I was closing the terminals on the switch and not the connector plug! haha. But yea, fans turned on right away, even when cold.

So my engine/radiator both complete cooled down, and I did the thermoswitch test and the fans kicks in right away. Do I have a faulty thermoswtich? It seems to me that I have to do this when things are hot.

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

no, not refresh. lets talk about what the thermoswitch does.

the thermoswitch is just a temperature switch. when it's gets hot enough the switch closes and the fans come on.

if your telling me the fans never come on i'd think something is wrong with this particular thermoswitch since it's a fairly common failure item. by jumping the two terminals together you are forcing the fans to run as if it was the switch normally turning them on. so if the fans come on you found the problem - replace that thermoswitch.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 PM

I still have to make it back home!!! So should I just keep the wire there with some electricla tap wrapped around it? So I can atleast prevent it from overheating again. I am using 28 AWG wire. Similar to what the housing has.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

By jumpering that wire you've proven that everything else in the circuit works. That narrows it down to a bad switch.

You can leave the jumper in (tape it up so it doesn't short against anything). The only bad thing is wasted power from running constantly. Incidentally, the fan should rarely be needed in winter. It would only come on stuck in traffic in hot weather. Just driving along (even 20 mph) pushesas muchair thru the radiatoras the fan.

Quick Reply: Smoke from Radiator Cap