General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke from Radiator Cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Default RE: Smoke from Radiator Cap

So after all the troubleshooting, it is the thermoswitch correct? Someone please confirm! I just want to make sure before I head out to the stealership, oops dealership again. FYI, the switch costs $44.

Yea, with the fan constantly on, no more steam! yay! also, the acceleration response is a bit jerky, not as smooth, just something I noticed.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Are you jumpering the thermoswitch A (behind the distributor on thermostat housing)? If yes, then themoswitch A is the problem.

good luck

Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 PM

yep, replace that thermoswitch. don't leave the terminals jumped permanently since you will overheat the fans and destroy them and the radiator fan shrouds.

after you fix that, lets work on the jerky problem. if it's still there describe it exactly and in better detail?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 PM

I got the switch, I will replace it tomorrow. I will keep you all updated.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:09 PM

I replaced with a new thermoswitch. The one behind the distributor and closer to the firewall. I let it idle to engine operating temp. Fans didnt come on at 52*F outside temp. Now both upper and lower hoses feel hot. No steam from the radiator.

However, the fans are not coming on. I dont want to drive around and risk it. It would be bad news if the fans dont come on during stop-and-go.

Hmmm....

Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 PM

hold the engine rpm around 3000 rpm until the fans come on. the engine may not get hot enough at idle.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

no, not refresh. lets talk about what the thermoswitch does.

the thermoswitch is just a temperature switch. when it's gets hot enough the switch closes and the fans come on.

if your telling me the fans never come on i'd think something is wrong with this particular thermoswitch since it's a fairly common failure item. by jumping the two terminals together you are forcing the fans to run as if it was the switch normally turning them on. so if the fans come on you found the problem - replace that thermoswitch.
**This is the way that I was told to check out this kind of problem also..Good heads up HondaTech**

WheelBrokerAng

Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 PM

O yea!!! I am pretty sure it fixed the problem!!! The fans don't come on, but the lower radiator hose is much hotter than before now. It is able to circulate the coolant around, which cools the engine better. Outside temp 44*F

So the thermoswitch controls the fan and the thermostat?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

no, thermostat is a purely mechanical device, simply a valve operated by a wax pellet.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

no, thermostat is a purely mechanical device, simply a valve operated by a wax pellet.
Thats what I thought too. But the lower radiator hose is much hotter than before after I put in a new thermoswitch.

Quick Reply: Smoke from Radiator Cap