General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke from Radiator Cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Smoke from Radiator Cap

Is it possible you had an air pocket? I just read back thru all the earlier posts in this thread & didn't see anything about bleeding outthe air. I just kinda assumedyou already took care of that.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Is it possible you had an air pocket? I just read back thru all the earlier posts in this thread & didn't see anything about bleeding outthe air. I just kinda assumedyou already took care of that.
Sounds exactly right, and the only explanation for why he is now getting coolant flowing. Surprising how many people are unaware of the cooling system bleed port on these.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM

I took the thermoswitch off when the system was still hot, maybe that let it out?

Anyway, what's this air bleeinding? I never heard of it.

My understanding is that if there are air pockets, it will be blown into the reservoir when it travels near the radiator cap area.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM

not always.... if you follow the upper radiator hose to where it connects to the motor (thermostat housing) there is what looks like a nut with a little open ended nipple on it (10 mm I believe) let the car fully warm up, then SLOWLY open that up if there is air in the system it will come out first then coolant will slowly dribble out, tighten it back down and you're done.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

not always.... if you follow the upper radiator hose to where it connects to the motor (thermostat housing) there is what looks like a nut with a little open ended nipple on it (10 mm I believe) let the car fully warm up, then SLOWLY open that up if there is air in the system it will come out first then coolant will slowly dribble out, tighten it back down and you're done.
my thermostat housing is in the back where it meets with the lower radiator hose.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM

are you saying your thermostat is on your lower radiator hose? That's a new one to me, never seen that on ANY car but then again your car isn't listed in your signature so I'm not entirely sure what you have....

Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

First of all, what year is your car? You should put that in the signature field so we don't have to look back at the first post.

On the 94-97s, the thermostat is on the lower radiator hose. There is a bleed valve on top of the thermostat housing (12mm long socket) that you use to bleed any air out of the intake.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

are you saying your thermostat is on your lower radiator hose? That's a new one to me, never seen that on ANY car but then again your car isn't listed in your signature so I'm not entirely sure what you have....
Yes, LOTS of Hondaengines have the thermostat at the LOWER ratiator hose.
B-series (my former '95 Integra)
F-series (Accords from about '90 up thru '02)
probably D-series (Civic)???

Many years (not all) ofthe F-seriesthermostat housing is the high point in the system. Thesehave a bleed screw in the thermostat housing, sorta angled up & back pointing towards the windshield. Some years, the radiator cap IS the highest point in the system. Many years of the B-series the high point is on the head next to the upper hose.

K-series (Accord beginning 2003) thermostat is low in front, between the block & radiator. (Yes, it's important to make it clear which year we're talking about).

Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 PM

I have a 1997, I think my signature will start showing up now. I will look for the bleed valve.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Show!

Quick Reply: Smoke from Radiator Cap