General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke from Radiator Cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Default RE: Smoke from Radiator Cap

bump

Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

You might want to try a radiator flush for the system. You can drain and keep the new coolant. Follow the instructions on the bottle. Run a bunch of water to get the acid out of the system and refill with your old coolant.

Do you know when the water pump was replaced?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 AM

I dont think the water pump was ever replaced.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM

I did a little test.

With the radiator cap off, I squeezed the lower and upper hose individually and watched the fluid level near the radiator neck rise and drop. This indicated that the fluid is able to travel through. I also noticed that when the car is warmed, the lower radiator hose builds up pressure, but not heat.

Still stranded....

Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Another observation:

The bleed valve is located on the right side of the thermostat, meaning it is only bleeding that side of the system. Since my thermostat isnt opening up, would that mean theres air pockets on the other side of the system

Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

I have filled the system with the engine cold and never had to add coolant when finished. In my opinion the thermstat probably will let some coolant pass when it is "closed".

ORIGINAL: patpatpat

The bleed valve is located on the right side of the thermostat, meaning it is only bleeding that side of the system. Since my thermostat isnt opening up, would that mean theres air pockets on the other side of the system
Did you put in a new thermostat? The quote above reads like you haven't.

Squeezing the lower radiator hose while keeping the upper hose close might be a better test, because you can't be sure which side of the system you are pushing the coolant towards.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:34 PM

I did put in a new thermostat. I will do the test suggested.

Ah! I just want the lower radiator hose start getting hot!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 PM

The reason why I said the thermostat isnt opening up is because the lower hose is still cold.
ORIGINAL: PAhonda

I have filled the system with the engine cold and never had to add coolant when finished. In my opinion the thermstat probably will let some coolant pass when it is "closed".

ORIGINAL: patpatpat

Did you put in a new thermostat? The quote above reads like you haven't.

Squeezing the lower radiator hose while keeping the upper hose close might be a better test, because you can't be sure which side of the system you are pushing the coolant towards.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM

Also, the temp gauge doesnt climb above the half way mark when the radiator starts steaming off the cap. I believe the gauge does work: reads blue when cold and slowly climbs up when its being warmed up.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to hear the little rattle-pin in the thermostat when you squeeze the hoses. That little opening is supposed to allow enough flow thru so the fan-switch will see the hot temperature.

If you don't hear that, I gotta ask.... Is the thermostat installed backwards or otherwise obstructed? I didn't think that was possible, but ????

Quick Reply: Smoke from Radiator Cap