General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 10:23 AM
Default Speedometer trouble

So I had a spider on my dash and I smacked it real hard and my speedometer needle went all the way around and got stuck behind the needle at 0mph. I took the cluster out and removed the cover and turned the needle back counter clockwise, so now it back in the starting position but it's not reading accurately. It worked perfectly fine before I slapped the dashboard. Any idea or clue to what might have happen or how I might fix it

Old 10-23-2021, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Spinning back the speedometer needle was likely a mistake. Is the speedometer meter moving normally, but reading a low speed consistently?

Old 10-23-2021, 10:47 AM

That's exactly what it's doing. It's reading but just a really low speed. . I should say before I spun it back I just moved it over the needle and it did the same thing

Old 10-23-2021, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

The needle is press fit onto that shaft. You probably spun the needle past zero when you spun counterclockwise to get it back into place. There are two ways to fix. The less risky is to turn the needle gently clockwise until the shaft hits a stop, then try to turn the needle past that point. Option 2 (if the needle is now resting at zero) is to pull the needle, hopefully the shaft sets to zero, then push the needle so it sits at zero. You may be able to set the needle at 10 mph, then push the needle to zero counterclockwise if that shaft has a hard stop at zero. Hope this makes sense.

For others reading this post with a similar problem, I'd first remove the cluster and remove the back plastic panel. I'd unscrew the speedometer without messing with the needle, then clean up the contact points where the speedometer contacts the main board with some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip or some deoxit contact cleaner on a q-tip, then reinstall the speedometer. The vibrations from hitting the dash likely vibrated the contact and the speedometer jumped to max. This avoids the risk of breaking the needle as they are delicate, or trying to set the speedometer needle back to zero.