General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRS and ABS code help on 2000 Accord SE 4dr

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 06:58 PM
msg
Default SRS and ABS code help on 2000 Accord SE 4dr

Long story here, but the main questions I have is "Should the ABS light blink when running an error code test via a paper clip jumper in the OBD II in the 5 and 9 slots? if so is there an ABS code list for a 2000 Accord SE?

Im trying to clear the SRS light after replacing the driver buckle but its back on again. The SRS code now reads that the passenger side buckle..but this time when I jump the OBD II 5 and 9 slots I also get a flashing ABS light as well. The ABS light blinks quickly 7 times and then 9 slower times. The ABS light though doesnt come on when the car is running, just when I do this jumper test mode.
Here is the video that I have been referencing

BACK STORY
This car had been sitting in my driveway when a tornado ripped through a few months back and debris caused some cosmetic damage and the back windshield was busted out. Insurance called it totalled so I took the check they offered and kept the Accord and finally got it repaired and passed inspection. This was a big pain, that SRS light had to be cleared first and I was able to after watching this video and cleaning the contacts on the micro switches for both the driver and passenger seat belt buckles.

But now it looks like I will be ordering the passenger buckle and replacing it. Now that its a rebuild title Honda no longer has warranties that will help with the SRS and the faulty buckles.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

The ABS light flashing would mean some kind of code is stored. The 98-02 accord manual has codes listed via scanner, so code 11 though 81. You may want to post a video of the abs light flashing in case we see something different.

Based on your description, you have a code 97 that doesn't exist.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:34 AM
msg
Default Video clip

Well I tried uploading a video file. .mov file. 23 megs. Wouldn't take. The ABS light looks to me to take 1 long and 6 short blinks followed by 8 long and 1 short blink. I have a Haynes 98-02 Manual but its in storage with most our belongings since the storm.

Last edited by msg; 08-01-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

A code 16 is for the rear passenger wheel sensor electrical noise intermittent interruption. A code 81 is for the ABS control module.

If the abs light is not turning on when driving, then you can assume the problem is intermittent. You can probably ignore the problem until it becomes more permanent and trips causes the abs light to turn on when driving. You can also try resetting the abs module, then see if these codes return in a week. Having abs codes will not affect the normal braking system, but may disable the abs system.

I'd recommend looking at the rear passenger abs sensor to see if it has any obvious damage on the wiring. If you can unbolt the sensor from the rear hub without breaking it, you may want to clean any rust/grime off the sensor. Also look at the tone ring on the hub and clean any debris on it. Look for chunks missing from that tone ring.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:52 AM
msg

Thanks PAHonda, really appreciate the information and help. Ill look into how to reset the ABS module as a start. The SRS was fairly simple to reset using the same video I mentioned and posted the link to.