General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRS Light Code 82-11 Failure PAssenger Weight Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 11:43 AM
Angry SRS Light Code 82-11 Failure PAssenger Weight Sensor

My son just bought 2015 Accord LX 2.4L with 80K miles. SRS light came on 6 days later Honda service diagnosed as code 82-11 internal failure of front passengers weight sensor (front inner side). Performed troubleshooting and found seat weight sensor is faulty, need to replace seat rails at this time and reprogram new seat weight sensors. Quote is $2,409 We were not expecting something like this and really disappointed as this was not in his budget.
  1. Car Fax did not indicate accident, makes me wonder if care has actually been in accident, how likely that sensor failed with out accident?
  2. Why would seat rails need to be replaced? Is the sensor integrated to seat rails? Doe anyone have an illustration?
  3. IS there a way to confirm sensor is bad?
  4. How difficult is this as a DIY repair. I assume that there is a recalibration requiring access to computer. I would think I would need an authorized service location for that part of repair.
  5. Any recommendations how best to resolve?
FYI they also want to charge $94 dollars to replace valve stem on spare tire. Unless technology is changed this seems ridiculous to me. I'll check tire shop.

Last edited by scw65; 12-20-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a shop manual for a 2015 accord, so I don't have the details. A code 82-11 from a 2010 accord is for a 2-door front passenger weight sensor. Is this car a 2-door?

Looking at a parts site like hondapartsnow.com, unfortunately the weight sensor is integrated into the rails.

The weight sensor isn't an on/off sensor as it sends the weight of the passenger to the computer to adjust the force required if the airbag deploys, so this has to be a variable resistance/potentiometer. You can't just test the sensor as an open/closed circuit.

Depending on your comfort, you can DIY replace this. I'd highly recommend getting a shop manual. The site I recommend only goes to 2010 accords, so you'll have to source a 2015 maunual. You might have to buy a subscription from alldata for a month for ~$20.

I'd probably disconnect the car's battery, then unbolt the seat (four 17 or 14 mm bolts) and follow the wires for the seat sensor to a connector. Look for damage to the wires and unplug the connector to see if any corrosion is present. You may be able to look under the seat without unbolting to follow the wires.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:39 PM

Thanks a bunch! This is a 4 door sedan. I've checked on this parts site and see two separate listings for Right front seat. One is TS Tech and and I see an SWS (Seat Weight Sensor for ~$85. Sws Unit - Honda (81169-T2F-A01) Part # 9 in diagram. Link Below. I dont see how its connected to a seat rail nor do I see a seat rail part.
https://honda.oempartsonline.com/v-2...seat-2-tachi-s

Another option is Tachi-S/Setex/Ttm. Any way to tell which one I should be looking for? I have to look at it myself but think it is a manual operated seat.
https://honda.oempartsonline.com/v-2...seat-2-tachi-s

I've spoken to a third party mechanic who referred me to a body shop since it not really a mechanical issue. He indicated there could be multiple part options depending on what features. I gave him VIN# 1HGCR2F37FA068655 and he indicated he'd have to see it to fully diagnose One option for a seat rail he saw on a parts list for over $2K which I find crazy if its a metal frame.

Any further insight appreciated.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

That part number is for the weight sensor control unit. Try hondapartsnow.com and look at the OEM part numbers. It did say weight sensor when I searched earlier for around $700. Maybe I entered the wrong details on your car.

On how to tell which seat you have, you may be able to enter the VIN of your vehcile and hopefully the site will not allow you to purchase a part from TS Tech vs Tachi-S, etc... Another route is to look at the parts for each style of seat and hopefully find a difference. Then you can look at your passenger seat to hopefully identify which one is in your car. I'm not familiar with "newer" accords to help you identify the difference. Another item is to see if the OEM part number for the two styles of seats are the same or different. If they are the same, then you don't have to worry about which style you have.