General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRS reset

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Default SRS reset

The SRS light came on this morning on my 97 wagon. I want to try to reset it, Did a search and one place said to check the DYI section. Don't see that in the DYI. anyone know how to do this?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Tried the instructions in that thread and not working at all. I found a yellow dummy connector with two wires, and tried following the instructions. The light stayed on steady the entire time. It never blinked. Can't imagine why it is on. No collisions, cluster removal, seat removal etc...

Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I would first check for SRS codes by shorting the connector as you would for CEL codes. Just count the SRS light flashes. See How to get CEL codes in the DIY section. Post the codes on here.

That dummy connector to clear the SRS light is not plugged into the fuse box as shown in that picture. The connector is in the general area where you left knee would be when driving. It would be below the coin holder towards the bottom of that plastic panel near your knee.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would first check for SRS codes by shorting the connector as you would for CEL codes. Just count the SRS light flashes. See How to get CEL codes in the DIY section. Post the codes on here.

That dummy connector to clear the SRS light is not plugged into the fuse box as shown in that picture. The connector is in the general area where you left knee would be when driving. It would be below the coin holder towards the bottom of that plastic panel near your knee.
yep, that is the one I used. I tried paper clip, speaker wire, and thinner single strand, The light stayed on steady the whole time. I'll try and pull the codes tonight,.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Okay, pulled the SRS Code. It is 85

Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

An 8-5 code is listed for the 96 and 97 accord manual that I have. It says to replace the SRS control unit.

8-5 is not listed in my 95 manual.

It looks like the 94 SRS unit has its own Honda part #. The 95 is uniquie. The 96/97 are the same.

My guess would be the SRS unit is bad and needs to be replaced. There may be a fuse you can check for the SRS.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM

It is a 97 model Checked the fuse- okay anyone with experience with one of these airbag module services? they claim they can repair them for about 50 bucks.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I assumed it was the 94 listed first in your signature.

The control unit may have some burned resistors, bad capacitors, or possibly bad solder joints. I have read where people repaired the worn out components on the board, but I can't remember if it worked. See if the company you fournd has a warranty for the board repair.

The other option is to find a SRS unit on Ebay or junkyard.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM

I would definitely try to get the reset to work before I went and replaced the unit. Many of the codes can be caused by dumb things like a weak battery.

Quick Reply: SRS reset