General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:02 PM
Default Starter Help

I have a 2013 Honda Accord. it has 88,343 miles on it. On the 20th of this month I had the starter replaced and a new battery installed. Six days later my car is doing exactly what it did before I replaced the starter. When I put the key in and turn it to start the radio, lights etc come on and work, But the engine will not turn over. It makes a click noise and nothing. Before I had the the starter replaced it did this for about a month until it started to click repeated and eventually just wouldn't start at all and drained the battery dead. Is there anything anybody can tell me to fix whatever is wrong. I mean I just dropped a load of money having the starter replaced and I can not afford to continue to do this every month. Would something else be causing this problem or is it yet again the starter? Please any help would be nice. I drive for a living so if my car is down I don't work and that is not an option. Any kinda help is appreciated.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

It's not clear whether it was a new starter or maybe the replacement was a used starter?

I wonder if the shop just replaced the starter without wondering/investigating WHY it was doing that. Some loose/dirty/corroded wiring can cause this and maybe it was OK for the brief test-drive after the repair. Corrosion at the battery cables (both ends of both cables) is one common thing, but there are others. Draining the battery suggests a problem with the charging system as well.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It's not clear whether it was a new starter or maybe the replacement was a used starter?

I wonder if the shop just replaced the starter without wondering/investigating WHY it was doing that. Some loose/dirty/corroded wiring can cause this and maybe it was OK for the brief test-drive after the repair. Corrosion at the battery cables (both ends of both cables) is one common thing, but there are others. Draining the battery suggests a problem with the charging system as well.

Thats what I'm thinking what else is wrong and what do I even need to check into? They claim its a new starter they installed but that something is causing the battery to drain. They wanna keep blaming the battery. So The battery I had checked and its fine it not draining....and I just bought it. But the old battery did end up draining before the starter was changed. After months of having the problem of the car not starting.
It's a no crank not a no start. Like the engine doesnt even try to turn over. It does nothing you can just hear a click and nothing happens. Sometimes if I don't turn the key back off completely and I leave in engaged and just turn it again it will start. Then sometimes it takes several minutes before I can get it to start. Seems worse when its run for a while and I cut if off to go in someplace. I can come back out and it wont start.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

There's a system where the car can command the alternator to charge, or charge at a low rate, or not to charge. That's to save fuel... But maybe some connection in that system is dirty/corroded/loose and providing flaky commands to the alternator. I don't know enough about that system to be much help, but maybe the shop only checked the alternator itself, and not the whole system?

Old 07-31-2021, 09:25 AM
Default Ahhh

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's a system where the car can command the alternator to charge, or charge at a low rate, or not to charge. That's to save fuel... But maybe some connection in that system is dirty/corroded/loose and providing flaky commands to the alternator. I don't know enough about that system to be much help, but maybe the shop only checked the alternator itself, and not the whole system?
Ah I will have the guy thats gonna look at the car check that and see what he says and I'll let you know for sure. I just really wanna get this fixed so I can work. It's completely frustrating and annoying beyond belief. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. But I'll keep you posted also and let you know what he says.