General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter relay in '89 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 01:54 PM
Default Starter relay in '89 Accord?

1989 Honda Accord DX, manual transmission, carbureted (...the horror!). No power at starter solenoid when key switch is engaged (i.e., start position). Clutch cut-out switch is functional. Is there a starter relay in the circuit, and if so, where is it located? (I'm not asking about the starter solenoid, which functions correctly when connected directly to the battery.) I'm not able to find a wiring schematic that matches the components/physical wiring/color coding of the vehicle. If this has been discussed in other threads/posts, my apologies. I couldn't find anything when searching this site.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have an 86 shop manual that is the same generation as your car. It looks like there is no starter relay. There is a cutoff switch for an automatic if the car is in park or neutral, but doesn't show anything for a manual transmission accord. If there was any cutoff switch, it would be on the clutch pedal to prevent you from starting the vehicle without the clutch pedal depressed.

The power come from the black/white wire from the ignition switch, so you may want to check if you have power by back-probing that wire and turn the key to the start position. Try to follow that wire to see if goes to the engine bay or maybe to the clutch pedal.

Old 08-12-2023, 12:42 AM

There is power at the ignition switch pole when placed in the START position. The clutch cut-out switch has three wires going to it, one a ground (Black w/ spaced White or Silver marks), the other two Pink and Orange. One schematic I have found shows the Pink wire feeding the clutch switch, emanating from the Cruise Control module (???), and the Orange wire going from the N/O pole of the switch to the "Engine Control System" (whatever and wherever that is). The Black w/ White stripe wire from the ignition switch START pole does not go the clutch cut-out switch. It disappears into a wire bundle after its first connector. The clutch cut-out switch appears to be functioning correctly when subjected to a continuity check per the shop manual. Based on the (conflicting) schematics I have been able to access, there must be a starter relay somewhere in the circuit, but I cannot locate it to debug. I have not been able to locate a wiring schematic that accurately depicts the wiring/color scheme/component lay-out of my vehicle. I have ordered a Honda factory electrical trouble shooting guide for 1989 models from a vendor on ebay. Maybe that will help?

Does anyone know for certain as to whether a 1989 Accord with manual tranny and carburetor has a starter relay?

Old 08-13-2023, 12:32 AM

I spent several hours tracing the starter wiring circuit, and with the help of a recently purchased Honda 1989 Accord electrical system trouble shooting factory service manual, was finally able to diagnose the problem. This model of Honda has two separate cut-out switches actuated by the clutch pedal: one for the Cruise Control circuit and one for the Starter circuit. The one for the starter circuit is way up on the clutch pedal arm, and is nearly impossible to access without removing the clutch/brake pedal assembly. There is also a well hidden Starter Relay located underneath the radio, but that was not the problem. Turns out that the plastic clutch switch stopper/button attached to the clutch pedal arm that actuates the starter cut-out switch had rotted and fallen off. As such, the clutch switch for the starter circuit was not being engaged when the pedal was pushed in. Hours of standing on my head crammed under the dash and it was a $3 plastic part readily available on ebay and Amazon. Grrrr....

Now on to the next problem: Lately, the engine requires far too long of engaging the starter for it to finally roar to life. This only happens when the car has sat for a while, such as overnight. It's as if there is no fuel in the supply line or carburetor float bowl and the fuel pump has to run until it supplies go juice. I haven't checked the site glass window on the side of the carburetor float bowl to see if there is fuel in the float chamber before cranking, but why would it drain out? Is there a fuel solenoid valve in the supply line that should stop fuel from draining out of the float chamber? 1989 was the last year that the Honda Accord was marketed in the USA with a carburetor instead of fuel injection. Lucky me!. I had to replace the carburetor a couple of years ago. That was way too much fun.