General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting/Idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Exclamation Starting/Idling problem

I have a 2000 Accord V6 coupe. Every once in a while, and sometimes every day, when I start my car it will start normal and when the rpms drop to idle the motor just bogs down and dies. It will do that 2 or 3 times until eventually it wont start at all and just turns over. Sometimes I have to sit for 5 minutes, sometimes for 3 hours to get it to start and run. I read somewhere about this being an overheating problem, but the temp is normal on the dash when this happens. A friend also said it might be the fuel pump getting too hot (if its an electric pump) or a clogged fuel filter. I honestly am clueless. Any suggestions? Im tired of getting stranded in random locations for an unknown amount of time.

Also, I dont know if this is related or not, but every time I start my car whether I go into Drive or Reverse, after a few seconds of being in movement, sometimes right when I apply the gas, I hear this electronic screeching sound. I dont know how to describe it. Its not like a belt squeal, but its more of a mechanical/electronic sound. I will get a video of it and post it soon.

Last edited by chucktaylorfan92; 07-23-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Does this happen when you are driving? It could be a clogged fuel filter. Or a failing fuel pump power supply. (your return from the fuel rail, which is only open when idling or throttle is closed) dumps right on top of this can can create resistance. This happened in my case. when I took out my fuel pump assembly I found this: (This is the power supply to the fuel pump)

First off you need to check for spark though. This will tell you if it is ignition or fuel. I think the V6 has the individual coils. Which are based on top of each spark plug port... But I could be wrong. Get and HEI tester and see if you are getting spark when it dies. Thats the start point.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM

No it never happens when driving. Once i get it going its fine. I think Im going to replace the main relay but I cant seem to find it

Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM

why spend money trying to chase a problem when you can narrow down your search by testing for spark when it stalls? Its easy. and HEI tester cost 6 bucks and anyone can use when the car is replicating the symptoms.

So when you say it happens when your not driving you mean that it only happens when you are in your garage and have just started it up or do oyu mean that it happens when you come to a stop and are idling?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM

It only happens when the engine has already been run and then turned off for a few minutes. Like today I drove to walmart, came out about 10 or 15 min later and it started then bogged down and died. Then it wouldnt start for about 10 min. Like I said once I get it started its fine until I turn it off again.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Someone please tell me where my main relay is. Ive searched for hours and cant find it.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM

if you are sitting in the divers seat with your left foot extended (to the right of the dead pedal) then the main relay will be directly above it. It is anchored into the car. Its a stand alone unit with 7 (? for v6?) wires going into it.

However I doubt this is the issue, because it would cause problems when you are driving not when you are stopped.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Well I have found numerous articles of people saying they have the exact problem and the same car and that was the fix. Since its so simple, I figured id try that first. This also usually only happens when its really hot. I think I found it (is the plug reddish brown? and it plugs into a black box?) now I just need to get it out. It looks like theres a little pin i have to push and then slide the relay off the metal bracket. Is this correct?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 PM

the plug is brown yes it plugs into a while conector that is housed in a black box. It only gets hot when you've been driving for a while.

You can remove the entire circuit board with a small screw diver.

I still think you need to test for spark. You might "think" this is the problem, I sure did, when my car was having this issue but it took me a lot more to pin point it. But whatever. Get a new Main relay and when this happens replace it and see if it fixes the problem.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM

yesterday it wouldnt start at all so i reached down and kinda jiggled the main relay while turning the key and it started right up. So that was a problem. I replaced it and havent had a starting problem. BUT sometimes it still idles rough/low for a couple of minutes. Driving clears it up usually. Sometimes right when i put it in drive and hit the gas it bogs for a second then goes back to normal. What could cause this?