General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Still getting Scrap from my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

By a few hundred miles the plugs should have a slight tan color. Stark white means the engine is running lean and/or hot.

Attached Thumbnails Still getting Scrap from my car-picture020-1.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Somewhere on NGK's website there's a set of photos showing plugs with different conditions. Burned, oily, soot, too hot, too rich, too lean, etc...

Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Yeah theyre white, not tan. So my engines running lean or hot. Coolant is always at 205 and I assume that something is heating up more than it should it stop and go traffic thus taking away from performance. I double checked the plugs and gapped them about .01mm more than recommended.

Theres no vacuum leak according to the vacuum gauge. It was at 23in/hg rather than in the 15-22 range. Does that mean anything?
o2 sensors are fine. as well. Map sensor readings seem to correspond with the vacuum gauge readings.
I know I update this without actually checking the fuel system but thats my next step once I can get out there and the weather doesnt suck, hopefully tomorrow. But what in the fuel system would cause intermittent performance issues that mostly seems based on heat? Or should I check elsewhere as fuel system issues are rare with hondas?

The NGK chart wasnt too helpful cuz I couldnt find exactly what they looked like.

The plugs look exactly like this... my exhaust valves are the same color white but I think thats normal from what ive looked up
Name:  P7150027.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  110.3 KB

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 03-01-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Is that pic of your plugs or one you found as a reference?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Found as a reference. But the three on the right are exactly what they look like

Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM

That's not the greatest pic to read plugs; too far away.

The ceramic surrounding the electrode should be very light tan. It takes several hundred miles for plugs to color in a normally running engine.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Thats exactly what they look like. Just white. Not tan. And its not deposits of anything, just white color. And Ive had these plugs in for maybe 6 months.
Could they have anything to do with this issue? At one point I did have issues with a lean system but that was resolved. With the white coating on the plugs could it be possible that they are causing the issues?

Looking into it though it seems like that should be normal, to be honest, Ive never seen spark plugs with tan tips on my car, theyre always snow white, no hint of tan.

heres another reference pic, exactly what mine look like but ill take a pic of my actually spark plugs once i get back outside

Attached Thumbnails Still getting Scrap from my car-plugs01.jpg  

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 03-02-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM

The plugs in the latest pic aren't white. #2 is very light tan, #4 is very light gray/tan; both indicate a normally running engine. #6 looks like it ran hot.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM

2 I see, maybe its my eyes. I dont see any tan in my own spark plugs. But based on what you're saying it looks as if my engine is running hot. Or at least was.
Would it be a good idea to change the spark plugs if theyre white like that then? Or is there the underlying issue still?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM

Post pics of your plugs. Nice close shots of the electrode porcelain. Use the macro setting on your camera.

Quick Reply: Still getting Scrap from my car