General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

storage tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default storage tips

in a week the accord is getting parked for about 6 months, any tips of thing to do to it before storage? obviously going to leave a full tank of gas and stuff, and give the underbody a good spraying. what else?

Old 08-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: storage tips

maybe some stabil in the gas tank?

if its not going to be moved at all put some plywood under the tires too.

same deal here, im parking my car for about 6 months too when i leave for college.

problem is its being parked outside, and under a tree.

sorry to threadjack, but do you think a car cover is overkill? not sure if i can trust my parents to clean the leaves off of it every few weeks. $60 for a cover is a bit steep tho, after all I am a college student.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

yeah thats the same reason i'm parking mine, i think i'm going to get a car cover, but i also have fresh paint

Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Oil change immediately before storage to minimize any moisture in the oil.

Why not ask someone to drive the car periodically?

good luck

Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well i decided to get a cover. I am going to ask my parents to drive it periodically (itll be parked in their driveway), but i don't trust them (nor expect them) to keep it clean.

are you parking it indoors or outdoors?

Old 08-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Oil change a must.

Coolant change if not been done in last 12 months.use 50/50 mix with only distilled or de-mineralized water.
Do it if you can only drain what you can out of the radiator - refill and run engine till at operating temp to circulate it.

Brake fluid change if no done in last three years - preferably synthetic.

If possible - raise and instll blocks under the suspension so tires a off the surface.

Disconnect the batt neg terminal if it cannot be charged every 30 days,(If battery runs down in frezzing weather it will freeeze damaging the case and areas beneath the battery). If vehicle is not driven - remove the batt to an area where it can be monitored and charged if need be. Full charge is 12.66V.

Clean and wax the paint. Waxany chrome and do not remove the wax on chrome until storage is complete.

A cover enhancement would be to install a reinforced waterproof cover OVER the regular car cover. Do not use a vinyl cover without a moistureabsorbing cover under the vinyl. Before installing any cover the vehicle must be entirelydry and no dew or high humidity.

Apply clear rubber preservative silicone grease to door and trunk seals per instructions. Remove windshield wiper blades.

Good Luck.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

i'm keeping it indoors, i would have it driven, but i wont allow it to be driven in the winter, so it would still be sitting for 3-4 months.

and i'm not supposed to wax my paint yet.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Do something for rodents. They LOVE to crawl into the air intake & chew up the filter.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Do something for rodents. They LOVE to crawl into the air intake & chew up the filter.
Or the raccoon that lived in the engine bay of my dad's 75 Dodge Dart (bought from auction), that was stinky and had to be powerwashed clean. lol

Did you tell your parents that your car gets better gas mileage than theirs, presumably? That would be a selling point in getting them to drive it more.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Why arent you guys taking your cars off to your schools?

WheelBrokerAng [sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: storage tips