General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange noises in new 2021 Accord Sport 2.0t

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 05:51 PM
Default Strange noises in new 2021 Accord Sport 2.0t

So I recently
started hearing a couple
noises in my new accord. The car has 1600 miles on it and it’s well taken care of so far. The front left wheel, when going ~5-10mph, makes this spinning up, turbine-like sounds that increases with speed. Kind of high pitched. Almost sounds like a turbo spooling up in the left where but obviously that is not it. I hear it when the window is down next to a wall or something on the left so that the sound bounces into the cabin and it is pretty audible. Also, when I am idling in the car waiting to go into work or something for 10 mins, I hear a low low “chunk” or “clunk” that seems to come from the driver foot well or behind the drivers side dash every 30-45 seconds or so. Kind of sounds like when a wiper blade hits the end of its range before coming back . One clunk, very subtle but noticeable. What could these be. I had a 2018 1.5t and none of these things happened.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. Since the car is very new, take it to a dealership to investigate. Take the service tech on a drive to demonstrate the problem. Likely something with the brakes.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Noises can travel in very funny ways, and maybe the whining sound is the turbocharger. It should wind up when you push the accelerator pedal, not really synchronized with either the RPM nor the road speed. Is that the way you hear it bouncing off a wall alongside the car?

My experience with a 2001 Saab...
At one point, I started to hear a "whooshing" sound but it followed the gas pedal rather than the engine speed or road speed. Easy to recognize from driving other turbocharged cars. The design of the manifold & the size of the turbo can result in a whooshing sound vs. a whistling sound. And the engine compartment has a lot of soundproofing materials.

Turns out that car had a little foam-rubber piece glued into the fender, just between the sheetmetal and the plastic inner-fender-liner. That had fallen out and allowed the sound to follow this little "tunnel" right back to the neighborhood of the glovebox. I thought it was pretty cool, but it was my wife's car and she was NOT impressed. So I glued in back in place...

And YOU have a warranty, so you can just tell them to fix it.