General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange problem has me a little stumped

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Also if anyone looks at the pic and is wondering, Yes i needed to stop for gas soon lol.
doesnt have any effect on the issue at hand lol

Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Again, I'm old and slow.....lets address the code first.

If we want to get into theory....well there could be a rear main leak that over time causes oil to get onto the flywheel/clutch...creating a small amount of slip between the clutch and flywheel.

I've been wrong before and will be again.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Update

So i got off a little early today and had time to finally get to those clogged egr passages, I got everything cleaned up really good.

They were all completely blocked and all the upper passages were completely blocked as well, I reset the cel and test drove. No cel now but will need to drive it a couple more days to verify that light will stay off( it should) and if it has any impact on the difference in hot and cold driving.

Will also be waiting to see if it has any impact on mpg or not

Only time tell!

Over all the car seems to be running "smoother" and idle seems "smoother" not that idle was erratic to begin with

Hard to explain, but just an overall feeling of everything running "smoother".
Time will tell

Last edited by firefighter44; 02-25-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Ok, so i took a rather long trip today and still no cel return but found that after driving for awhile it is still having the rpm change issue. Im still stumped on this. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be oil pressure related as im going on about 8000 miles on this oil. I feel like as it heats up the oil thins out from being that old and creates inappropriate oil pressure which messes with the vtec system among other things

Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Being an Accord owner that has had clogged egr ports, I know exactly what you mean

Lets hope for the best.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My understanding is that VTEC switches at high rpm (2300-3200 rpm depending on Manifold Pressure) to provide improved engine performance. Unless you're driving 70+mph, Vtec is probably not the problem.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed my VTEC function. It must be a very smooth transition.

good luck

Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yeah i dont think the vtec is necessarily the problem but just had a "feeling" that age of oil/ oil pressure may have something to do with it, plus i was way over due on an oil change anyway so i changed it today and will see how it goes.
Not sure when i will take a drive long enough to see if it has any affect on the issue at hand or not

Almost forgot, also changed the plugs as its been a while on those and i checked them out the other day and they were lookin a little fouled

Last edited by firefighter44; 02-27-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

just updating incase anyone else with a similar issue is watching this thread.

after cleaning the egr passages a week or so ago the cel is still off! awesome since it gets on nerves seeing it on all the time.

As for the rpm at speed issue, I transferred to a location closer to home with my job and since haven't really driven far enough in any given trip to tell if the issue is fixed or not

i have also since my last post changed my oil and per the service manual for the temp range where i live used 10w-40 full synthetic high mileage oil and also changed my spark plugs(ngk copper)

Oil and plugs seemed to make some difference but again i need to make a longer trip at some point to check on the issue status

Side note: will be installing a new performance header this week.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Update on situation:
So here it is, Like previously posted i changed the oil and plugs, i also since have installed a performance header and fixed the leak at the distributor with a new oring.

As far as the rpms go i have found that while it does still change between cold and hot is is not nearly as dramatic of a change. Now after hot i do about 60 mph in 5th at 2k rpms

So not exactly sure on what changed the situation but probably a combination of everything.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Well, good to know it is "doing better" . Thanks for the follow up.

Quick Reply: Strange problem has me a little stumped