General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strange A/T problem 92 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Default strange A/T problem 92 Accord

Hey, everyone. I've driven a LOT of cars including Hondas and haven't come upon this problem. 92 Accord 2.2 4spd automatic. Recently bought the car, no real history. Have driven it around a hundred miles and change, no issues with shifting city or highway. Two days ago I was driving to my doctor, around 27 miles away, mostly highway but a bit hilly (Washington state). I got a few miles from there when it wouldn't shift back into overdrive after climbing a minor hill at 60mph. Tried to get it to shift by pushing on the gas a couple times, shifting into neutral and back (would go into neutral but not back into overdrive). Got to the light before the building and it didn't shift down to first. I could do it manually. Got out of the car once at the doctor's and heard a bubbling sound from the engine compartment, opened the hood and it sounded like the transmission was boiling! Never experienced this with dozens of automatic cars.

Came out of the appointment and turned the car on, checked the fluid, and it looked okay. Red and not bad smelling. No bubbling sound. Tried to drive the car about a half mile, same problem (without the bubbling sound). Nope, not going to drive it home in case of damage! Luckily I have AAA, so I got towed home. The driver also checked the fluid. He was thinking blocked tranny cooler or hose. Tried to drive the car a bit ago locally just to see, since it was cool now, and same thing.

***It will shift into all gears manually, but won't engage 3rd and 4th, it will stay in 2nd even if it's in the "slot" for 3rd or 4th. It just doesn't feel like a mechanical problem? I thought it was in 3rd Tuesday, but I might have been mistaken. It was showing 4k rpm at 60mph. Today for sure just first and second (plus R,P, N). I'm somewhat mechanical but I'm stumped!!! And no money to take to a shop

Anyone ever experienced this? I'm hoping something somewhat simple that I can fix myself (ha!)

TIA, Cat

Old 11-29-2019, 01:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by samuraikitty7
Hey, everyone. I've driven a LOT of cars including Hondas and haven't come upon this problem. 92 Accord 2.2 4spd automatic. Recently bought the car, no real history. Have driven it around a hundred miles and change, no issues with shifting city or highway. Two days ago I was driving to my doctor, around 27 miles away, mostly highway but a bit hilly (Washington state). I got a few miles from there when it wouldn't shift back into overdrive after climbing a minor hill at 60mph. Tried to get it to shift by pushing on the gas a couple times, shifting into neutral and back (would go into neutral but not back into overdrive). Got to the light before the building and it didn't shift down to first. I could do it manually. Got out of the car once at the doctor's and heard a bubbling sound from the engine compartment, opened the hood and it sounded like the transmission was boiling! Never experienced this with dozens of automatic cars.

Came out of the appointment and turned the car on, checked the fluid, and it looked okay. Red and not bad smelling. No bubbling sound. Tried to drive the car about a half mile, same problem (without the bubbling sound). Nope, not going to drive it home in case of damage! Luckily I have AAA, so I got towed home. The driver also checked the fluid. He was thinking blocked tranny cooler or hose. Tried to drive the car a bit ago locally just to see, since it was cool now, and same thing.

***It will shift into all gears manually, but won't engage 3rd and 4th, it will stay in 2nd even if it's in the "slot" for 3rd or 4th. It just doesn't feel like a mechanical problem? I thought it was in 3rd Tuesday, but I might have been mistaken. It was showing 4k rpm at 60mph. Today for sure just first and second (plus R,P, N). I'm somewhat mechanical but I'm stumped!!! And no money to take to a shop

Anyone ever experienced this? I'm hoping something somewhat simple that I can fix myself (ha!)

TIA, Cat
Have you checked for any codes present? Is the D4 light flashing?

Old 11-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Embarassingly enough, I don't know how to check non OBDII codes, never had to do it. I just found a youtube video on how to do it. The D4 light has stayed on a couple of times but not flashing. Once I get the codes, I'll look through them and get back to you!

Old 11-29-2019, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

You should check for transmission codes. You have a brown 2-pin connector behind the passenger side plastic kick panel that you short with a paperclip or a thin piece of wire. See the write-up in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for details.

The screens on the solenoids could be clogged up. You may want to remove them, then clean the screens and solenoid of any debris using throttle body cleaner.

You may wan to do an transmission fluid drain and refill. I'd use Honda brand automatic transmission fluid or a Dextron II equivalent automatic transmission fluid.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You should check for transmission codes. You have a brown 2-pin connector behind the passenger side plastic kick panel that you short with a paperclip or a thin piece of wire. See the write-up in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for details.

The screens on the solenoids could be clogged up. You may want to remove them, then clean the screens and solenoid of any debris using throttle body cleaner.

You may wan to do an transmission fluid drain and refill. I'd use Honda brand automatic transmission fluid or a Dextron II equivalent automatic transmission fluid.
Thanks! Yes, saw how to do it on youtube, where and how etc. Feel a bit dumb I didn't look first but like I said earlier I've never had to do it on non OBDII before. So I'll get the codes and check, definitely do what you suggest, including a flush. If the fluid has been overheated I'm told it breaks it down.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure to check the antifreeze level in your radiator. I'd bet the "bubbling sound" is not coming from the transmission. There's a couple scenarios where the reservoir bottle is full but the actual radiator is not. Honda's generally don't like any air pockets in the cooling system.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Make sure to check the antifreeze level in your radiator. I'd bet the "bubbling sound" is not coming from the transmission. There's a couple scenarios where the reservoir bottle is full but the actual radiator is not. Honda's generally don't like any air pockets in the cooling system.
Hmmm, I had just checked the coolant level. I know the temp gauge was at normal. I bought this car because I went over to Subaru and lost two to head gaskets. They don't like air pockets as well. So I'm paranoid about overheating, lol. It was def coming from the tranny, the bubbling sound, not the radiator. What I figure is that if it was in 2nd for those few miles maybe it was working too hard? I'm not sure about that. But hopefully I'll be able to get the codes today (too much family stuff last weekend) and go from there. I have a funnel that helps get air out of the radiator system as well, so I can do that just to be sure.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Air likes to hang out in the thermostat housing on those F-series 4cyl engines. There's a bleeder valve on the T-stat housing. And I wasn't thinking it was bubbling in the radiator, but more likely the cylinder head.

Good that you checked it, just to rule it out. I was trying not to take anything for granted.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Air likes to hang out in the thermostat housing on those F-series 4cyl engines. There's a bleeder valve on the T-stat housing. And I wasn't thinking it was bubbling in the radiator, but more likely the cylinder head.

Good that you checked it, just to rule it out. I was trying not to take anything for granted.
Bleeder valve huh? I'll have to look for that. Sorry, didn't know there was one. I know a lot but there is still so much to learn. My dad used to do this stuff before his stroke. I do have a Haynes manual on it's way. I have the shop manual in pdf but I don't like how it works...I like an actual book if you know what I mean.

So!!! I was able to find the diagnostic connector and stuck a paper clip in there to short it, turned it to on and NO CODES!!! Not even for the check engine light that comes on occasionally. I'm not sure if I did it right, but from all my research I think I did. So now what? Go to Pick n Pull and start throwing solenoids at it? I hate to think of having to pay a local shop for diagnosis. =(

Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 PM

I don't know if it matters, but the whole area on top of the trans where the transmission solenoid pack is located was just coated with oil. I sprayed it all down with degreaser and will clean it off. If nothing else if I have to remove it I don't want it that gross.

Quick Reply: strange A/T problem 92 Accord