General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strange A/T problem 92 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

The bleeder is #13 in the picture. It looks and works just like a brake bleeder screw. Take off the radiator cap & then open the bleeder screw until coolant comes out without bubbles.

Sometimes when the engine is cold, you can hear whether there's air in the cooling system by squeezing a radiator hose. You can hear sloshing if there's much air in there.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake

The bleeder is #13 in the picture. It looks and works just like a brake bleeder screw. Take off the radiator cap & then open the bleeder screw until coolant comes out without bubbles.

Sometimes when the engine is cold, you can hear whether there's air in the cooling system by squeezing a radiator hose. You can hear sloshing if there's much air in there.
Thanks a bunch! Now to just figure out why the heck it isn't shifting into 3rd and 4th with no codes. *sigh* From everything I read it sounds like the solenoid pack. So I'll be checking that first, now that I've gotten all the nasty oil off of it.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:15 AM
Default She's alive!

I can finally say I fixed it!!!! With research, it sounded like the solenoid pack, and I was able to find a new one for not much moolah. Plus the VSS, which didn't sound like the same symptoms but it was also not much money. Now it shifts just like it's supposed to! I was nearly screaming in triumph when it upshifted into all four gears!!! I'm not a mechanic, but maybe I am becoming one? My dad the former mechanic gave me a couple of helpful hints that I will hopefully remember, but since his stroke he can't do anything more than give some advice. But even that is greatly appreciated.

I still can't believe I did this on my own. The VSS is in a nasty spot on the 92 and it took a lot of finagling and cussing to get it on there. I have small hands but even they were struggling and nearly got stuck, lol. I bought some cheap champagne to celebrate!

Thanks for the ideas! Next is replacing the ATF (with Honda) and making sure there is no air in the coolant lines...whew...........

Cat

Old 12-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ Understandable joy! Thanks for sharing the whole episode ...

I'm in WA state too, with a '92 EX - 5 spd.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by samuraikitty7
I can finally say I fixed it!!!! With research, it sounded like the solenoid pack, and I was able to find a new one for not much moolah. Plus the VSS, which didn't sound like the same symptoms but it was also not much money. Now it shifts just like it's supposed to! I was nearly screaming in triumph when it upshifted into all four gears!!! I'm not a mechanic, but maybe I am becoming one? My dad the former mechanic gave me a couple of helpful hints that I will hopefully remember, but since his stroke he can't do anything more than give some advice. But even that is greatly appreciated.

I still can't believe I did this on my own. The VSS is in a nasty spot on the 92 and it took a lot of finagling and cussing to get it on there. I have small hands but even they were struggling and nearly got stuck, lol. I bought some cheap champagne to celebrate!

Thanks for the ideas! Next is replacing the ATF (with Honda) and making sure there is no air in the coolant lines...whew...........

Cat
Congrats on fixing it. That's a great accomplishment for a "non-mechanic", although they have to start somewhere.