General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strong gas smell..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 07:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Strong gas smell..

Hi all,

This is a follow up to my earlier post about my fuel line replacement; I replaced my fuel lines on my 01 Accord and boned up and reversed the two lines.

Once I got that figured out, the car started and runs great. However, I now have a strong gas smell emanating from the engine compartment.

I’ve checked all of the lines (all done in steel tube), but I don’t see any signs of a leak. Please see the enclosed photo. The smell really is the strongest in this area.

Could I have damaged this valve unit when the lines were reversed?

Thanks very much! You guys have been great. I really appreciate it.

Trevor

Old 03-08-2022, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible the pressure regulator was damaged. The return line where you are pointing shouldn't leak fuel unless you damaged that line when disconnecting/installing.

There is a vacuum line above your finger in that picture that goes to the top of the fuel pressure regulator. Remove that vacuum line and just turn the key to the II position to pressurize the system. That top part of the regulator should not have any fuel coming out or have a strong fuel smell.

Another option is to clean that area as best you can, then spray anything that you disassembled with athlete's foot powder. Pressurize the system and try to locate a leak by looking for powder that is displaced or discolored.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

This is great information! Thank you. I will try these tips tonight and let you know what I see.

You're the best. Thanks again!

Trevor

Old 03-17-2022, 05:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi PAhonda,

I did what you suggested; I removed the top hose on the valve (no fuel came out and no strong smell). I also put foot powder on all of the suspected leak areas, but no signs of disturbance or discoloration.

any other ideas at this point on what I should do next? This is really strange.

thanks again,

Trevor