General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stuck in Park & Key Stuck in Ignition 2017 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 07:23 PM
Default Stuck in Park & Key Stuck in Ignition 2017 Accord

I have a 2017 Accord Sport SE 2.0L with auto that would not let me shift out of Park and then I couldn't take the key out. Initial thought was Security System and/or after market auto start. Removed auto start and did the key and let run for 10 minute thing for the alarm reset. Neighbor thought it was a worn key so tapped on that a few times but once battery disconnected the key comes right out. After hours of disconnecting reconnecting the battery I decided to just try driving it. That's when I realized the center dash does not show Park or Reverse but shows N, D & S. Also, when trying to back out of the driveway the reverse had no power/slipping. I pulled some fuses but don't think the ones I was told to pull are correct for my year of Accord. Started tearing center console out but not really sure what I'm looking for. Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:22 PM

Update: Tore half the car apart checking fuses and shifter. Then notice the info system would not allow me to change vehicle settings because I was moving. Thought speed sensor but OBD port was saying 0 mph so car knew I wasn't moving. Finally, settled on Neutral Safety Switch/Range sensor located on top of CVT transmission. Took it out and cleaned it but that didn't fix so ordered a new one.
Again symptoms are keys won't come out until battery is disconnected. Can not shift out of Park and when I override the Park and Reverse do not display in center council but N, D and S do. After cleaning the Neutral Safety Switch I no longer have S. Also, there is no power in Reverse but it will move the car backwards on a level surface but not up an incline. If the new Neutral Safety Switch corrects issue I will update post.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:58 PM

Installed new Neutral Safety Switch/Range sensor and still has all the same symptoms. No idea what to do with it now.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Listed probable cause(s):
  • Shift lock solenoid defective
  • Shift lock solenoid control circuit
  • Shift lock mechanism defective
  • Brake pedal position switch circuit
  • Brake pedal position switch defective
  • Accelerator pedal position sensor circuit
  • Accelerator pedal position sensor defective
  • Transmission range switch ATPP switch stuck OFF
  • Transmission range switch ATPP switch line opened
  • Relative throttle position sensor value too high
  • Throttle body defective
Notes

Troubleshoot the shift lock system circuit.

Test the shift lock solenoid.

Inspect the transmission range switch.

Inspect the APP sensor signal.

Reset the PCM.