General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Surging

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Default Surging

Hello I acquired a 1992 Honda accord lx 271700 mi. on it. Engine was covered with oil, all 4 bolts were loose.
Anyway started cleaning TB, IACT, and had to put back together, checked for leaks via carb cleaner, no rpm changes, so took off, got to destination and car started surging up and down in park. Does the ecm just got to relearn, thanks.
picture of dirty Tb, and cleaned, with carb and throttle body cleaner.
thought I had picture of dirty, possibly clogged iatc screen I cleaned, sprayed the heck out of both holes with map cleaner.
Anything I missed to cause up and down surging.
ok took fitv off, apart, cleaned, dang spring clip went flying in the bushes. Modify another for now. Grind diameter to drop in bowl, temporary fix, surging is fixed, just throttle sticking.

thanks again

Last edited by mrg2065; 12-02-2019 at 01:06 AM. Reason: More picture
Old 12-02-2019, 04:12 PM

Ok just adjusted the throttle cable. Idle back to normal, random surge, not enough to time, , didn't clean bottom of fitv, get that today, with new washer clip (modified one working but could be prob) and thermostat, radiator cap. Bled engine also.

Think this had a sheet rock screw going through. I used caliper to measure od of pin x2 areas, drilled sm hole next to screw, center hole little bigger, and grind washer to spring diameter + a couple mm.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Removing the FITV gets air into the cooling system, so you want to fill up the system and work out the air. There is a bleeder valve either on the thermostat housing or very close to the thermostat housing that allows you to top off the radiator and allows air to escape through that bleeder.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Removing the FITV gets air into the cooling system, so you want to fill up the system and work out the air. There is a bleeder valve either on the thermostat housing or very close to the thermostat housing that allows you to top off the radiator and allows air to escape through that bleeder.
thanks, think I need a new thermostat, maybe water pump, not overheating but just in case, when I opened bleeder valve water cane out right away, then paused 5 to 10 seconds and water again, (coolant). So hopefully bled, no surging, after that Thank you, FITV was pretty filthy, cleaned top portion, then modified spring clip took up the night, do bottom portion tonight.

cleaning up nice. Love this 2.2
Throttle sticking, I adjusted the throttle cable and sticks no more. Just going to clean speed sensor.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:38 AM

Going from Seattle to Renton oreillies, I noticed gauge at just above cold and staying, up to 60 mph 10 miles or so, hmm first thought thermostat sticking but letting just enough coolant to work gauge and keep engine cool, anyhow sure enough stuck open couple centimeters, black gunk on top of ts, carbon from iact and fitv or gasket melting(?). Coolant did come out of both valve hoses when detached.

New ts in, now to clean bottom of fitv, hoses, and speed sensor.

speed sensor gritty black grease, disasembled cleaned and of course can't find my grease gun. Calling it a night.

Last edited by mrg2065; 12-03-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I've a '92 in WA state with the same high miles, and I like it too. My car does a 45 second surge on warm-up
if I touch the gas peddle before it's warm, so I just let it warm/idle for 3-5 minutes and the surging doesn't happen.
I had a '93 hi mileage before and twas the exact same thing.

Looks like a radiator flush and new thermostat is in your future. At least you identify the problem

Nice job on cleaning the engine ...

I won't show you my engine compartment.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 PM

Got hose off egr and solenoid, blocked. Hmm feel something towards the egr end, start working it out, in tight, feels round.
ok what the heck is a steel bearing type bb doing in the hose??? Where do I look in egr? Poppin off and checking. Well no need, bb wont fit in either port. Find out why it was blocked shortly.

Last edited by mrg2065; 12-03-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:28 AM

Cel back on, engine running rough, sounds like vw.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by mrg2065
Cel back on, engine running rough, sounds like vw.
still egr code, hoping flow code but 12 again. So last person to fix, stuffed a bb in hose, instead of cleaning the ports, which calmed the rough idle. Didn't do any electrical test yet. Cleaning ports, update sfter.
anyone got a tiny bearing I can buy, oh and a obd1 scanner too. Jk.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:24 AM

Tried putting throttle cable back to prior setting, after reblocking egr hose, but still high idle while driving, higher in park/neutral with up and down surging, until I manually pull up on pedal to bring idle down, and stop the surging, scary at intersections.
Didn't do that before I cleaned iacv, fitv, ecm must be making up for extra air flow, and the faulty egr and clogged ports is confusing it or something. So I just adjusted throttle cable to make up for??? No fast idle or surging, don't have to back off the pedal coming to stop signs and light's, freaking using both feet driving.
once I removed bb from hose, I raised rpms and suction occured, so solenoid must be good, egr made a mechanism release sound when I puued hose off to block it off

Last edited by mrg2065; 12-05-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Surging