General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Surging

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If you have a hand-held vacuum pump, you can verify the EGR valve holds a vacuum. It should hold a vacuum.

You may want to inspect the vacuum hoses going from the EGR valve back to the egr vacuum control solenoid. The vacuum hoses could be rotted and not actually lifting the EGR valve at the proper time.
thanks, I got another good egr, hooked it up, code still popping up, checked power to Egr vacuum control solenoid. Power at the harness but no vacuum out the solenoid. Pulled hoses bottom port no leak blowing through hose, top port air goes through the filter end(top). Is that normal? Or should valve be closed and not leaking when engine off.
thanks again

Old 03-18-2020, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

This is from my 95 accord shop manual, so the setup should be the same, but the wire colors may be differnt.

The egr control solenoid has a blk/yel wire that should have 12V with the key in the II position. The red wire has to get a pulsed ground signal from the PCM, because I think the EGR valve can be opened partially depending on the engine conditions. I believe this would require an oscilloscope to be sure the ECU is controlling the EGR control solenoid.

I'll guess an unplugged control solenoid will default to off, because you don't want vacuum supplied to the EGR valve, because at idle, the car would stall out. Not having EGR is better, because the engine will run at all conditions, but NOx emissions suffer, and you will likely fail a yearly state vehicle inspection.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 PM

I'll guess an unplugged control solenoid will default to off, because you don't want vacuum supplied to the EGR valve, because at idle, the car would stall out. Not having EGR is better, because the engine will run at all conditions, but NOx emissions suffer, and you will likely fail a yearly state vehicle inspection.
hence shouldn't be a airleak blowing in either port.
thanks buddy, hey 94 egr vacuum control solenoid has a plug in harness, mine has male prongs on top, can I cut harness off 94, solder male prongs on it and plug it in. Or you think the open/close perimeters different.
thanks

Last edited by mrg2065; 03-20-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by mrg2065
hence shouldn't be a airleak blowing in either port.
thanks buddy, hey 94 egr vacuum control solenoid has a plug in harness, mine has male prongs on top, can I cut harness off 94, solder male prongs on it and plug it in. Or you think the open/close perimeters different.
thanks
giving it a shot. Solder prongs on, insulate real good, plug in let you know if it works.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:20 PM

giving it a shot. Solder prongs on, insulate real good, plug in let you know if it works.
forgot about running seafoam through the tank, attempting to clean injectors, did it after new fuel filter put on, possibly clogged enough to interrupt flow to cylinder#2, don't know, so got a new filter and male quick disconnects.
see what happens.

Stupid didn't measure prongs b4 putting on, got to take width down to plug in. New fuel filter from O'Reilly's, inlet threads were f'ed up, seemed a hair smaller, scuffed up trying to install, inlet wouldn't tighten all the way, put other one back on, probably try and tap this new one if not able to exchange

Last edited by mrg2065; 03-21-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:49 PM

forgot about running seafoam through the tank, attempting to clean injectors, did it after new fuel filter put on, possibly clogged enough to interrupt flow to cylinder#2, don't know, so got a new filter and male quick disconnects.
see what happens.

Stupid didn't measure prongs b4 putting on, got to take width down to plug in. New fuel filter from O'Reilly's, inlet threads were f'ed up, seemed a hair smaller, scuffed up trying to install, inlet wouldn't tighten all the way, put other one back on, probably try and tap this new one if not able to exchange
nope,cel, code 12 again, have to find a new egr vacuum control valve. Hard to find, hondapartsnow.com said discontinued.
looking..🤔

Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 PM

nope,cel, code 12 again, have to find a new egr vacuum control valve. Hard to find, hondapartsnow.com said discontinued.
looking..🤔
freaking pulled #2 plug, still here the spark while lifting out, but no change in rpms, pulled plug, dry black soot, put plug back started engine 30 seconds or so, pulled plug, dry, no fuel smell. I pulled the injector last week and cleaned using carb cleaner and a power source, cleaner sprayed through,
Weak fuel pump, or clogged filter prevent last injector in firing order to get fuel?
Does a non leaking fpr mean its not faulty?
thanks for looking
Mario

Old 03-26-2020, 04:15 PM

freaking pulled #2 plug, still here the spark while lifting out, but no change in rpms, pulled plug, dry black soot, put plug back started engine 30 seconds or so, pulled plug, dry, no fuel smell. I pulled the injector last week and cleaned using carb cleaner and a power source, cleaner sprayed through,
Weak fuel pump, or clogged filter prevent last injector in firing order to get fuel?
Does a non leaking fpr mean its not faulty?
thanks for looking
Mario
Got a fuel pressure gauge, only place to hook up is at the fuel rail inlet with banjo bolt, give reading there shortly.
Nvm see why you have to get m12 -1.25 hose adapter for the testing end.

Last edited by mrg2065; 03-26-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Firing order is cyclical, so firing order is not relevant. Injector 2 is in the middle of the block and will see the same fuel pressure as the other injectors. Fuel pressure isn't your problem.

You need to determine why injector 2 isn't working. A quick test is to switch injector 2 and 3, then see if the problem remains on cylinder 2 (electrical issue you'll need to troubleshot) or moved to cylinder 3 (pretty much indicates an injector problem).

Old 03-29-2020, 11:18 PM

Firing order is cyclical, so firing order is not relevant. Injector 2 is in the middle of the block and will see the same fuel pressure as the other injectors. Fuel pressure isn't your problem.

You need to determine why injector 2 isn't working. A quick test is to switch injector 2 and 3, then see if the problem remains on cylinder 2 (electrical issue you'll need to troubleshot) or moved to cylinder 3 (pretty much indicates an injector problem).
Absolutely right, thanks, compression must of been low on that cylinder for a bit, plugs all looked normal, when I put new NKG plugs in not long ago.
somewhere the gasket failed in that area.got got coolant in my oil, never overheated little time I had it. So got timing belt, pulley, tensioner, just need balance belt, water pump and a head gasket, oil seals etc.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Surging