General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Surging

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

One item I didn't see on your list is getting the cylinder head machined to ensure it is perfectly flat. I've read that cylinder head gasket leaks are typically due to warping of the cylinder head and not just the gasket failing.

At minimum, get a straight edge and look for any gaps under the straight edge on the block. A feeler gauge will help determine the size of the gaps on the cylinder head. There is a youtube channel by oldskool funk that shows how he DIY measures warping on a cylinder head. He also has a DIY method for leveling the cylinder head that I have never tried before, so use your judgement on attempting.

Installing a warped cylinder head with a new gasket can lead to immediate or pre-mature failure and you will get to repeat the repair.

Best regards.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
One item I didn't see on your list is getting the cylinder head machined to ensure it is perfectly flat. I've read that cylinder head gasket leaks are typically due to warping of the cylinder head and not just the gasket failing.

At minimum, get a straight edge and look for any gaps under the straight edge on the block. A feeler gauge will help determine the size of the gaps on the cylinder head. There is a youtube channel by oldskool funk that shows how he DIY measures warping on a cylinder head. He also has a DIY method for leveling the cylinder head that I have never tried before, so use your judgement on attempting.

Installing a warped cylinder head with a new gasket can lead to immediate or pre-mature failure and you will get to repeat the repair.

Best regards.
yes sir, I always send my heads to this auto parts/machine shop here in Seattle. Cleaned, Machined and whatever valve job, cut it needs.
thanks buddy.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 AM

Best regards.
Originally Posted by mrg2065
yes sir, I always send my heads to this auto parts/machine shop here in Seattle. Cleaned, Machined and whatever valve job, cut it needs.
thanks buddy.
ok the lady who gave me the car said she just had her friend change the oil, excellent, in the trunk was a wix oil filter box with old filter. and a 5 quart of synthetic 5 - 30 weight oil about half a quart on it.
so been putting synthetic in since. Just read it takes regular oil. So let it sit overnight ran a quart of regular 5 3o weight oil through and out the drain, put in oil and filter. Filled to full, ran engine just till got warm in vehicle, shut off, check level. Oh thank you, couple centimeters below full, filled to mark, run it again after it sits and hopefully gasket just leaked from synthetic and resets itself.
I'll change oil and filter again 10 or 20 miles or so.if it don't fail under load.

Last edited by mrg2065; 04-01-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Are you saying it's leaking because it had synthetic in the engine. I don't know about that. Maybe someone can explain it.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
Are you saying it's leaking because it had synthetic in the engine. I don't know about that. Maybe someone can explain it.
well not loud as it was coasting downshifting to a stop, not a light cloud of white exhaust at the bottom of hill I have to climb, oil was past full mark, 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart after driving, I did think I put to much in last night, drained little in clean pan, looked fine no bubbles, coolant level stayed level. It's like a centimeter below full now, see if it rises in a bit. Compression test is my choice, but mine broken and fund's are limited at the moment.
thanks

Last edited by mrg2065; 04-01-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:39 PM

well not loud as it was coasting downshifting to a stop, not a light cloud of white exhaust at the bottom of hill I have to climb, oil was past full mark, 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart after driving, I did think I put to much in last night, drained little in clean pan, looked fine no bubbles, coolant level stayed level. It's like a centimeter below full now, see if it rises in a bit. Compression test is my choice, but mine broken and fund's are limited at the moment.
thanks
Pryor to changing oil to regular I unplugged coil at distributor cranked engine pulled number 2 plug it was dry, black all around and no smell of fuel. After change. Retest, Plug looks like it's firing and Smells like fuel. So something resealed some leak somehow. Still doing a compression test later though.

Before oil change

After switching to recommended oil

Last edited by mrg2065; 04-01-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:37 PM

Pryor to changing oil to regular I unplugged coil at distributor cranked engine pulled number 2 plug it was dry, black all around and no smell of fuel. After change. Retest, Plug looks like it's firing and Smells like fuel. So something resealed some leak somehow. Still doing a compression test later though.

Before oil change

After switching to recommended oil
checked oil level. Still where it was yesterday, coolant to. I'm thinking for some reason my dipstick played tricks on my eyes, and I overfilled, with synthetic caused a leak which caused coolant to get in, smelled coolant in vehicle Pryor to switching, then I overfilled with regular oil and problem reversed, level when added way over next morning both times. Still doing a compression test, had to do some gasket damage..
I jacked front up to let excess oil out both times, and leveled while still jacked up, let it down, never bothered to check level again. Ooops only thing I could think of.

Last edited by mrg2065; 04-02-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe someone else has an explanation, but I don't see how overfilling the engine oil would cause a coolant leak into the engine.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Maybe someone else has an explanation, but I don't see how overfilling the engine oil would cause a coolant leak into the engine.
Slow down PAhonda I still want to know if synthetic can cause a leak. After mine is answered then proceed. Lol.

No seriously I think something is going on with his engine and it needs to be found.

OP please post the compression test results so we can help out on getting at the issue causing all your turmoil.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Thanks, it was dark been raining over here off and on far a while water probably got in my oil changing pan, so probably thought it was from engine, but coolant smell in vehicle is gone, wife asked why you could smell coolant the other day, and still puzzled about the #2 fuel injector which is now distributing fuel.
thanks again.

Last edited by mrg2065; 04-02-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Surging