General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TB cleaner causes rough idle/stalling???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: TB cleaner causes rough idle/stalling???

huh...that's weird...I swear by seafoam on hi mileage but then I have always had some really damn good luck with the stuff.

I only use it after 25,000 because of how it cleans the motor out and figure if it can clean out all that junk, then doing so on a hi mileage engine has to be rough

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Whenever I work around my throttle body, I have to reset my ECU or weird things happen.

Pull the radio/backup fuse (7.5 amp in engine bay fuse box) for a minute (make sure you have your radio code). Try driving the car after that.

If you still have problems, check the ECU for error codes (Follow instructions from http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html) .

Make sure that the connections on the TB sensors are secure. The TB cleaner could have clogged the IAC or FITV on that. You might want to clean them with TB cleaner (not carb cleaner).

Old 10-01-2007, 08:05 PM

I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it off of the car as well as the IAC. The only difference now is I can hear air leaking through the old gasket. I guess I'll be taking it off again.

There are no codes. I didn't reset the ECU tonight but I had done that yesterday with no luck.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i believe that there are 2 -3 sensors on the throttle body the map and the tp sensor ( for sure) ,, make sure that when you reconnected the connectors you plugged them in the proper place ,,I seem to recall that 2 of those connectors are interchanbable ,??,( it has been a long time )

Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Everything is hooked up correctly, the harness would prevent me from doing otherwise. TP sensor is good, MAP sensor is good, IAC valve is working, distributor sensors are good, mechanical timing is correct, compression is good, there is no leaking from the fuel regulator, distributor cap and rotor are recent, plugs and wires are brand new.

The hissing I heard last night was the o-ring from the MAP sensor; I lost it last night. Having replaced that, I can't hear any indication of a leak. I think the control system is working since I can hear it trying to stay running. It's running around 600 rpm and drops then almost stalls then jumps back up to 600 and on and on...

I would say it is definitely missing. I tried to check distributor timing but the light wasn't firing enough. Putting the light on the other wires indicated that cylinder 1 was missing the worse, followed by 2 being second worse, 3 was third worse, and 4 was the only one that seemed to consistently work.

I almost thought it was better today; I let it warm up and drove it down the road. Within the first mile I stopped at a stop sign and it almost died, then bucked and carried on the whole way home.

Appreciate the help, please keep the ideas coming.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:08 PM

Is it possible that so much crap got loosened up that you are constantly getting crap in the engine fouling plugs and that you haven't run it long enough to clear it all before you put new plugs on? Seems that would have most problems at higher rpms. I'd actually try the carb cleaner again to clean more.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM

Spray carb cleaner into the intake and see if the running condition improves while doing so. (Rev up the engine.. if it revs normal when being enriched, this will tell us.) If it straightens out, the engine is being underfueled -- which matches your description. If that's the case I'dlooking at the O2 sensors (fouled by carbon from cleanout?..) or a low fuel pressure condition, or stuck injectors. If enriching the mixture with carb cleaner does not make it run smoother, it's more likely to be an ignition problem, or something mechanical such as stuck/bent valves. Only other thing that comes to mind is a stuck-open EGR or a massive vacuum leak somewhere.

Also, unplug the MAP sensor and see if the car runs better at all...

Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM

I hate to spray more stuff in at this point. I was considering a fuel issue but cleaning the TB wouldn't have effected that. However, the nature of the miss being worse from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4 kind of points to the fuel rail. O2 sensor is something else I considered, I've never replaced one and wouldn't think it would make such a severe problem. Unplugging it didn't make a difference. Unplugging the MAP does make a difference but no improvement. I looked pretty hard at the MAP since that and the intake tube were the only things I had off originally. I tested it with a meter and vacuum gauge and it checked out ok. I'm leaning towards a clogged cat and think I might try disconnecting the exhaust tomorrow.

I did check the EGR and ittested ok. The injectors are all firing. It had a recent valve job and the compression was good so I don't believe they arethe problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 AM

I highly doubt that the fuel rail is the problem ... have you changed the fuel filter?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Fuel filter is a month old.

Quick Reply: TB cleaner causes rough idle/stalling???